BootsnAll Travel Network



Farm Life: Q&A

So… about farm life in Japan! A lot of people have been asking what I’d be doing here, and up until this week I really had no idea. Let me start by answering some of the more common questions.

Q: How do you expect to wake up at 5am and work the fields when you normally don’t go to bed until sunrise?

A: First of all, I don’t have to start work until nine. Second of all, the jetlag and time change has significantly altered my schedule. Lastly, the rooster makes it well known when the sun comes up.

Q: Will you be picking rice in a large paddy field?

A: No.

Q: What will you be doing then?

A: Mostly having fun. I fix things, build things, and sometimes get to destroy things. Amongst all of the little handyman odds and ends, most of my work revolves around getting the grounds ready for a 2 day festival/rave happening this weekend (May 4-5th. If you happen to be in the area you should definitely come).

I do work about 8 hours a day, but the tasks I’ve been assigned have been enjoyable. This past week, I’ve used an industrial sized weed-wacker to clear a large field. I made frequent off-roading trips in a 4WD hauling supplies between buildings. I also constructed a large durable fire pit that should last at least a millennium. Sometime this week, I’m building a stage. It’s like being a kid playing with all of his toys in the dirt again… except these toys are real and very dangerous to play with. =)

Q: When you’re not working, what is there to do in the Japan’s wilderness?

A: The farm is located at the base of Mount Fuji, on the direct outskirts of the Aokigahara National Park. There are lots of trails, mountains, lakes, and caves to explore. When not out enjoying nature, time is usually spent in the café with the other volunteers, staff, and guests. We drink, play music, eat well and generally have a good time.

I’ve also had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of the locals, and expats from around the world. With the exception of the bi-weekly onsen public bathing occurrence, there haven’t been too many ‘unusual’ events. BBQs at the park, dinner in trendy restaurants, and bonfires at the farm are pretty normal to most people from America. Once you throw in the cultural mix and Asian influence life still remains extremely exiting.

Before my first full week of work at the Earth Embassy’s organic farm I took a short hike through the surrounding Aokigahara “Sea of Trees. Among the volcanic rock and dense, mossy woods is the Ice Cave (cue FF7 music). During Mt. Fuji’s last eruption several lava tunnels were cut through the area. This particular cave happens to stay so cold and wet that icicles and blocks of ice are present even in the hottest summer months. While that sounds cool (no pun intended) in theory, it was actually quite a miserable experience to squeeze my 6’4” body into. I didn’t really consider how small and icy these lava tunnels actually are. After nearly witnessing horrible slipping injuries of a few people in front of me, I carefully made way to the exit and back to the farm.

Staying here is has been very worthwhile. I’m getting very used to meeting diverse people from around the world. My Japanese vocabulary is growing each day. Mt. Fuji is always visible, from the moment I wake up to the time I sit typing this blog. Each day has been memorable, but I’ll save the elaboration here for more adventurous tales. I may have some stories to tell after this weekends festival, but if not I have plans to spend a few more days in Tokyo next weekend.

.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

5 responses to “Farm Life: Q&A”

  1. Sharon Shane says:

    Hi Adam,

    I’m soooo enjoying reading your entries. This entry made me giggle with joy for you and what a wonderful life you are carving out for yourself. I imagine the giggling part of me is from watching you play in the dirt of your magical childhood and now seeing you able to continue the magic into your adulthood. Speaking of which….the picture of the over-emphasized manhood on the laughing Buddha…we came across two similar statues of other male pagan dieties in the museums throughout Turkey….one had a large platter of fruit resting upon the larger than life…ahem…so of course my joke at the time was…guess that brings new meaning to “fruit of the loom/loins” underwear.

    Sending Love and wishing you many more adventures,
    Mom

  2. george says:

    so happy the work is enjoyable brotha. your writings keep me entertained and as always the pics are great. have a blast at the rave this weekend, did you pack glow sticks? ha!

  3. Rcon says:

    I really like your blog!!! I learn a lot from your articles. I envy you because you get to go there and enjoy just about everything. Your photos are poignant as well.

  4. Ratnadeep says:

    Hi Adam!
    Remember me? Its been 4 months since I heard from you. Since Feb I have been waiting for that elusive knock at my door in Mumbai and wondering where was Adam Shane. Today I decided to check your web site to see what you have been up to. And to my utter amazement you are in the same continent as I am! Great man. You are finally living out your dream and how! I read your blogs and checked out the photos on Flickr. Just wonderful, wonderful stuff. nrI wish you have an amazing journey of exploration and adventure in Japan and else where in Asia. I dont know what your travel schedule is, but dont head for home without visiting Mumbai. I will be expecting you sooner rather than later.
    Until then Sayonara!

  5. melissa says:

    you, kind sir, are living not only MY dream, but the dream of the GREAT MANY.

    i miss those day to days, not planning for the next week, mindless wanderings. korea is so much like america to me. its hard not to fall back into those old traps.

    i’m dying to visit. wish i could afford it.
    your writing has me there with you, thank you for being so up-to-date and descriptive! i can’t wait to hear about the crazy rave at mount effing fuji! ayeee.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *