BootsnAll Travel Network



Drink in Japan

Aside from my beloved matcha (thick green tea, rich in vitamin C) there were a lot of amazing drinks in Japan.  There aren’t too many differences between the ones you’d find in America.  But a notable mention is Pocari Sweat, a pez-flavored Gatorade like drink.   

You could buy most in any of the multitudes of vending machines, which are EVERYWHERE!  You find tem hidden in temples, back alleys, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are in remote locations in the middle of the forest too.  There is usually one to ten in sight at all times.  They usually have an assortment of drinks including the usual water, juice and soda.  However, almost every single one has canned coffee available both hot and cold.  You can find beer and cigarettes in a good amount of vending machines, but oddly enough snack dispensers are virtually non-existent.

Then there is my good old friend alcohol.  Of course you can expect the world-famous Sake (rice wine) as well as locally brewed beers and whiskeys.  However, my favorite was definitely Shochu, Japan’s traditional distilled liquor.  You can find it made from any variety of ingredients ranging from wheat and rice to sugarcane.  It is usually 20-35% alcohol, but drinks as smooth as water.  This makes it a very dangerous beverage, but if you can control yourself it is easy to appreciate the subtleties of its exquisite flavor.

 

  

.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *