BootsnAll Travel Network



Food in Japan

I’m sure that food will prove to be one of the most exciting experiences throughout my world travels.  I’m imagine that Japan’s culinary tastes are much tamer than some of the exotic dishes that I will consume in later countries, but it did present a great many differences than the diet I was previously accustomed to.   

As with most of the culture, the food is moderately westernized but retains much of its history and Japanese uniqueness.  Amongst the sushi and ramen that I expected to find, there were loads of new surprises that have definitely wet my appetite for a future return. 

One of the most interesting was Japanese Curry; the most common, filling, delicious and inexpensive food I came across.  The other was Gyu-don; literally beef over rice.  You can find both of these dishes in specialty shops as well as fast food chains like Yoshinoya and Sukiya.  A typical meal works out to be less than $4 and will do a good job filling your stomach.

Another budget option was the convenience store Yakitori (skewer grill).  While you can go to more expensive restaurants and sample grilled chicken hearts, livers, etc. it is easy to stop into a corner Family Mart (convenience stores like this are everywhere.  I even saw three of the same brand on a single block in Osaka) and buy a delicious stick for $1 whenever the urge for some protein strikes.

Those three budget choices made up the majority of my diet because they are quick, delicious and most importantly for a backpacker, inexpensive.  However, I did have the pleasure of sampling a large variety of Japan’s more exquisite culinary specialties during my stay.  The miso soup (made from fermented soybeans) is beyond perfect in Japan, but not exactly a full meal.  Misokatsu (breaded pork cutler with miso sauce), fried soba noodles and sushi were also at the top of my list.

It’s hard to pick a favorite style of restaurant, but I am leaning towards the Okonomiyaki.  The closest taste I can compare it to is an omelet but it is still very different.  You cook it on the fryer at your table with ingredients provided by the restaurant.  Another do-it-yourself option is a Yakiniku; a Korean-style import where you cook pieces of meat and vegetables over your table’s grill.  

 

 

The biggest surprise I encountered was definitely the abundances of matcha (thick green tea) flavored sweets.  Kit Kat and other candies were awesome, but the shining star was matcha flavored Ice Cream.  Words can not describe my love for this stuff.  I’m already going through withdraw symptoms and craving its unique and delicious flavor more than any other food from Japan. 

 

Most of the food I found was a treat to eat, but I did come across a few mentionable oddities such as the curry-filled donut and fried chicken cartilage.  However, they were far from disgusting… just a bit surprising.

.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *