BootsnAll Travel Network



Accommodation in Japan

 

While there are an abundance of business hotels and the occasional hostel, there are more unique and exciting places to sleep in Japan.   

The Ryokan (Japanese Inn) or similar style room at hotels is a great way to experience traditional Japanese style and save some cash.  Usually it is no more than a small empty room with a tatami mat floor.  A futon folds away into a small cubby or closet and you can do whatever you want with the free space. 

The capsule hotel is another unique option.  Not much more than a 2x1x1 meter hole in the wall, it gets the job done.  They usually have a small TV, radio, alarm clock and other conveniences.  It is easy to feel like you stepped into the future and had your own cryogenic freezing chamber. 

The most economical was definitely the manga/internet café.  You can usually find night packs; something like 10 hours for less than ¥2000.  They are usually stocked with the highest speed internet connections (great for a traveler who needs to stay in touch and upload mass amounts of photos), top quality electronics, free drinks, DVD rentals and sometimes ice cream and showers.  At one I even saw a sign for free foot massages!  Most also have mattress cubicles, but the worst case you’ll be sleeping in a cushy reclining chair.  A small risk to take, but if you are excessively tall like me you might want to inspect the cubicle first. 

If you are really low on cash, there is always the public bench.  I wouldn’t recommend it for girls, and there are a few areas I wouldn’t dare try myself, but it is relatively safe to sleep in public parks and streets if needs be.
  

.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *