BootsnAll Travel Network



Culture in Japan

At the same time Japan thrives in its future fantasy land, there is also an abundance of history, tradition and culture balancing the modernization.   There are the blatant differences from western culture, such as the abundance of shrines, squat toilets, onsen, etc. After a while these differences begin to seem more normal, but leave more time to become bewildered by the society and people themselves.   

 

 

Almost everybody is welcoming and well-meaning.  Although it takes time to develop a true friendship, most Japanese are still very friendly to strangers in need.  I did encounter the occasional odd stare from an old man or curious giggle from a schoolgirl, but there was never a moment when I felt too uncomfortable or truly unwelcome.  It was funny to see the reactions at the sight of my tattoos in Tokyo, but as I moved west though Osaka I was surprised by how quickly this cultural taboo faded.

There is a definite focus on service and every business goes the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.  Even if it is falsified job ethics, the end result is unlike anything I’m accustomed to from America.

.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *