BootsnAll Travel Network



Pre Peru

Tomorrow I leave for Peru for two weeks. I have packed my bags and am ready to go. Hopefully I will have better luck on this trip than my one to Atlanta earlier this week. (Wavy lines, dissolve to white, flashback)

Some of you may know but for those of you who don’t I am currently on furlough from my job and have been for two weeks. I spent my first week doing some projects around the house (which is 99.865% complete on the inside). When these ran out, I spent a few days twiddling my thumbs and even managed to get addicted to “Design Star” on HGTV. This is a show where designers are competing to get their on show on HGTV. They do this by seeing who can come up with the best room design on different challenges while simultaneously throwing a large tantrum. You scoff but this is harder than it seems. I would like to see you try to build Louis XV armoire out of particle board for $3 in nine seconds while at the same time wailing about how know one understands your design style. See I told you it was difficult. The contestants then get to go before a panel of judges and explain that the hardware store ran out of hinges so they decided to just nail the doors on, paint some faux hinges (very tres chic), and hope the client didn’t mind. The judges make pithy comments like “It looks like a rainbow threw up on your armoire.” The designers then run screaming from the studio while dramatic yet trendy techno music plays in the background.

I spent the end of the week interviewing for a potential onsite assignment at a manufacturing site in the area. Interview complete, I was faced with another long week and decided that I didn’t want to just sit around the house. After all I can watch the misunderstood designers from anywhere through the magic of the communications satellite.  After calling around, I found someone who didn’t mind having an idle person show up for a few days. This lucky someone was Preeti who has recently married and moved to Atlanta.

I packed my bags, got a book on cd, and very carefully loaded the car up checking numerous times that I had everything. When I arrived in Atlanta, I unloaded the car and noticed that my luggage looked a little light. I decided to do a quick head count with the bags at my feet to see what could be missing. Camera check, Computer check, Book on Cd check (even though four of the cds were stuck in the cd changer which decided to die upon my arrival in Atlanta). It was at this point I realized that I had left my suitcase at home. I ran through my checklist several more times just to make sure and each time the results were the same. This was the first time in my life that I had ever done this.

Despite the missing suitcase, I had a nice time in Atlanta. We went hiking around a nearby Civil War battlefield and visited the Coke Museum.

 Coke Museum Atlanta

I managed to try all 64 types of sodas that Coke now produces (and then my body spent the remainder of the evening expelling all the excess liquid.)



Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Pre Peru”

  1. Heidi Says:

    Hahaha… that’s life for you.

    You could have come to visit me, but I guess it’s a lot less expensive to drive to Atlanta.

    Happy travels in Peru!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Josh Says:

    Good Luck!

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply