BootsnAll Travel Network



Hanging out in Levuka

My baggage finally caught up with me on Tuesday night. It had gone to New Zealand, so my baggage is now better traveled than I am. Staying at the guesthouse with me was a New Zealander (Mark) studying at the University of the South Pacific and two Swedish girls on scholarship doing food study research. I went with them on Wednesday morning to the university and spent the morning exploring the campus which is lush with vegetation. The afternoon was spent with Mark doing the Lonely Planet walking tour of Suva and searching for the cheapest pair of flip flops (jandals in New Zealand) we could find. We finally found some for $3.00.

Thursday afternoon, I caught the bus which would take me to the boat going to Levuka. I boarded the bus with my big backpack and found a place to sit. I was the only foreigner I saw on my entire trip to Levuka. The bus left Suva at 2:30 and stopped at various towns on the way to the boat landing. What started out as a paved road quickly turned into dirt. The road resembled a large mud plain with a small strip of usuable hard dirt going down the middle. The road was supposed to have been paved by a Chinese firm, but the money had run out and the job had been abandoned. At the boat landing, our ferry was broken so we had to wait about an hour for another one. I decided to use the restroom only to find out that the public toilets were broken. An old man told me I could use the one in the office nearby. I did so and then met the owner of the office who informed me that this was not a public restroom. I apologized and let him know that I had been told I could use it. Without thinkning, I showed him the old man who had told me I could use the restroom. I hope he didn’t get into trouble, but as the ferry had arrived I wasn’t around to find out. Once on the ferry, the rain started coming down, but it cleared up by the time we reached Ovalau. I passed the time on the ferry visiting with various people, including a man named Bobo, who owns one of the guesthouses mentioned in my Lonely Planet book. It was dark by the time we got off the ferry and boarded the bus for Levuka. The road was once again dirt and very steep. At one point the bus stalled and the bus driver and the guy helping the bus driver navigate, by flashlight(!), got it going again by jumping up and down. I got the bus driver to let me off at the Royal Hotel.

The Royal Hotel is the oldest operating hotel in the South Pacific. It has been open since the 1860’s. The present building was built in the early twentieth century. My room, while somewhat rustic, has a single bed with mosquito netting, a small sitting area, and a private bath.

Friday, I spent the morning exploring the town and making reservations for my trip to the outlying resort islands of Caqalai and Leluvia. The majority of the town is along Beach Street (there is no beach) and is made of wooden plank buildings dating back to the days when Levuka was the colonial capital of Fiji. The capital was moved to Suva because of the lack of available land for growth. The town is stuck between very steep rocky hills and the ocean. It started raining in the afternoon and lasted all night. From the hotel staff, I learned of a possible hurricane warning. No one seemed to know for sure exactly where this hurricane was or where it was supposed to hit. I am assuming that it didn’t come here as the rain stopped. This is what I get for coming to Fiji during the rainy season.

I accidently deleted what I wrote and my time is almost up. I will be leaving for the resort island tomorrow and will be there until March 30th. I don’t think they have Internet access so I probably won’t be able to write again until I get back, or get in the Cook Islands on April 1st. I will have to see. I won’t be able to post pictures until I get to New Zealand as Intenet access here is just too expensive.



Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Hanging out in Levuka”

  1. Kellie Says:

    I’m sorry you deleted the rest of your posting. We were enjoying reading it. Anyway, sounds like you’re having a good time!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Mark Vranderic Says:

    This is just to enjoyable to pass up. Barry i am very impressed with this quest or trip or whatever you call what you are doing. I now know how people can get hooked on reality based shows on TV…I’m rooting for you to survive this.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mary Lynn Says:

    Hi, Barry
    Now I really can enjoy your “wordiness”! I love your descriptions of the people and places you encounter along the way.
    I agree with Rosemary – you can surely sell your story as “A Year in the Life of …….”
    Have fun.
    Love,
    Mary Lynn

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. BERYL Says:

    Hi Barry,
    I pray all is going well. It sounds like you are having one great adventure after another.I think the way you describe the scenery is fantastic. I too, think you can sell your story when you get back. I hope you don’t mind but, other people in my department are reading your blog. They too enjoy it. Well keep in touch and stay safe. Love Beryl

  8. Jennifer Says:

    Hey Barry,

    Glad to hear you are having fun! We pray for you everyday. I agree with the other ones who say you need to write a book when you get back. I rill laughing everytime I read these things. Its like you dont want them to end!!! I read aloud in the office your blog, and everyone in here thinks you need to write a book. Well I patiently awaiting the pics! Have fun, Be safe!! Love, Jennifer

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Rosemary Says:

    Ok it is time for some comments about what you are thinking/feeling. You haven’t even said that you are having fun. I am so happy and proud that you are having this great adventure. Stay safe and have fun, love Rosemary

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. mark roper Says:

    hey Barry – good to hear you are still alive. The search for $1 jandals is still on … we did not look in vein. look forward to hearing more of you travel stories/mishaps!

  13. Posted from Fiji Fiji

Leave a Reply