Chengdu is very famous for panda’s, basically the only remaining wild ones live close by and there is a big panda breeding center in the city. The government has thrown a lot of money into panda breeding the last few years and China and Chengdu are regarded as the place to go and see panda’s.
So of course our first day in Chengdu, Me, Alice and Ross joined up on a trip with our hostel and headed out to see what all the fuss was about. We left early in the morning to get there in time to see what panda’s do best, eat. Now I am not saying panda’s aren’t cute, they are ridiculously cute, particularly the baby ones who look like stuffed toys that move. And you can get really close to watch them which is cool. So pretty much panda’s are cool. But through our education the breeding center we quickly learned how panda’s are actually incredibly stupid animals and through natural selection/evolution/God getting rid of them (whatever way you swing) there is really no need for panda’s to be alive.
- A panda gives birth to twins 45% of the time but in wild can only look after one baby so the other one will always die
- When a panda first gives birth it often doesn’t recognise the screaming infant and tries to kill it
- Panda’s only eat bamboo, but can’t actually digest it at all so has to eat a stupid amount to gain any nutrition
- A panda eats for 9 hours a day, then just sleeps, often getting too overweight
- It is unlikely that a panda will find a mate that it likes making breeding not very common
- They can’t protect themselves, only using their black and white fun as a deterrence. Basically they are too fat to run away.
So really the only way the are still alive is because humans think they are cute then spend a crazy amount of money protecting them, when in reality they would have just naturally dies out, not because people were interfering with them (although that has happened to an extent) but because for the reasons above, they are pretty much the most useless animal ever. And what a good way for the government to look like they are nice”but we save panda’s!’
Now don’t get me wrong, they are so cute, and watching them is pretty amazing but really they are so stupid! And so are some people, a girl in our group was a little too excited about the pandas and paid the astronomical fee of 1000RMB (about $250 NZD) to have her photo taken holding a baby panda. I actually didn’t think any one would be stupid enough to pay that, but there you go, cute animals make people crazy! So we got to see baby panda’s, big panda’s, panda’s eating, panda’s lying around. We watched a horribly disturbing and poorly produced (blair-witch style) on panda breeding and graphic shots of every stage. The museum was kind of interesting and of course gift shops were everywhere- the stupid girl brought a panda mouse pad.
So in conclusion, if in Chengdu, go see the panda’ they’re cool….but just think about how stupid they are.