BootsnAll Travel Network



Vienna; the big wedding cake

Photos from London to now are here:

Eastern Europe

Well it was back to Austria for a couple of nights this time to check out the capital. Apparently the place to be for all your cultural needs. Had a quick walk around the town after a long overnight train ride, checked out the big palace that dominates the town where the monarchy ruled from until it was dissolved in 1918, kind of cool place with beautiful gardens and things. Checked out a museum there which had a whole lot of info about one of the empress’s who was very well known and ended up being assasinated. Also in the museum was all this stuff from the palace, like all the cutlery and dinner sets…my goodness I could not think of much more boring things to look at. Got a free audio guide…”Notice the ever popular fiddle and stick engraving on the knives….this dinner set was given to the royal family in 1901 by the Queen of so and so…”

Hmmmm not the most exciting topics but neverless still an interesting museum. By the afternoon I was shattered so went back for a nap then that night headed out to the Opera with a few girls. Basically you can get really cheap tickets about an hour before so we payed 9 euros and got amazing seated tickets right up the front in little boxes. Very cool building and all very flash. The opera itself was all sort of ‘modern’ and in english…a bit strange…but was a cool experience just going.
Spent the next day checking out this market which is always good and just walking aorund the city which is actually really beautiful, lots of nice buildings and horse and carriges everywhere. So Vienna was a nice place not super exciting but good to visit. Only an hour train ride to my next stop Bratislava in Slovakia…why? why not..I had hardly even heard of the country before I got to Europe but why not visit for a few nights!
inside the opera house…



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply