BootsnAll Travel Network



Happy New Year!

I like 2008, I can say that THIS is the year that I finish university, I will be qualified! Not for much mind you but it is a start in the direction of grown up responsibility, although I am leaving 3 days after exams for yet another gap year (or 2). Now am looking into maybe trying to get a tourism related job for a year and postpone post-grad study for another year….hmmm who knows, exciting to think that in 6 more months I won’t have anything I HAVE to be in Christchurch for, with uni done it gives me a bit more freedom. So now exactly 6 months till I’m on a plane! Reading up lots about Russia and the visa thing. I think I have it sorted, buy a visa invitation from www.waytorussia.com for $50, then send that to the Russian embassy in NZ with $60 and they should technically give me a 30 day visa…sounds straight forward but will invariably be fraught with complications. I’ll apply in June and bank on it working, otherwise I think its easy-ish to get a visa in ex-soviet states.

For the next 6 months I need to keep up with my fancy colour coded savings plan, so far so good but will be a frugal next few months, but not much different from usual. The other day I hitchhiked alone up to meet friends camping for new years, it was fun, and was fun to have a (very small and not actually dangerous) challenge and make it through, met cool swiss people, made me feel like a traveller again.

Maybe I am destined to be a full time traveller but then again it is a very selfish way to live life, as in essence, travelling is about expanding YOUR own horizons and YOU having amazing experiences, it doesn’t exactly give back to the world. Although I do think the world would be a better place if everyone travelled somewhere interesting (London and OZ not included). I guess I hope that when I come to getting a real job that years of travel experiences will benefit me somehow, and I think they will, they key is to finding that job that I can do without being bored but making a long term commitment to something enough to make a difference….aaahhhh…but more study ahead to get closer to that position. Untill then, I’ll just be selfish and plant some tree’s to offset the carbon.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply