BootsnAll Travel Network



then and now

this was jess and i on new year’s day – first sunrise of the new year, when we had the entire trip before us and we were full of anticipation of the year ahead!

new years sunrise 2008!

and six months later… this was jess and i yesterday after watching the sun set on our last day in fiji, the last of our little trip of a lifetime. some things haven’t changed…

our last sunset!


as our plane broke through the clouds this morning, and the unmistakable blue of the ocean around oahu came into view, jess and i looked at each other and smiled because we were both thinking the same thing. WE’RE HOME!

our final flight was a pretty uncomfortable 8 hour red-eye from fiji to honolulu via christmas island. we were wedged into small seats, there was a crying baby behind us, and lots of turbulence. but none of it phased us because we were so happy to be heading home.

for once, i wasn’t spending the precious hours of flight time reading guidebooks or checking out maps, figuring out how to get to our hostel, currency exchange rates, or language basics. there was no need to research our destination this time. we breezed through customs and the warm hawaiian air embraced us as we made our way back onto the H-1 for the first time in six months! phone calls to and from friends and family kept us busy on the ride home, and then it was time to say goodbye (for now at least!)

after almost six months of traveling together, we were heading our separate ways. it’s going to take some getting used to, but i think we’ll both settle back into reality just fine. =)

and actually, i’m hitting the road again soon, this time for paris. so the journey continues… we’ll see what the next chapter holds!



Tags: ,

2 responses to “then and now”

  1. Kim says:

    Welcome Home lovely ladies! I wish I could be there with you. Hopefully I’ll see you in Greece in August!

  2. jessica says:

    don’t forget the first hawaii h20 water fountain we found at the airport! mmmmm…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *