BootsnAll Travel Network



Seoul

I’ve spent the last 4 nights in Seoul, had a great time here.  Second day, I went to the Gyeongbokgung palace, and saw the changing of the guard, a very colourful affair with lots of Korean music being played.  Much more elaborate that in London.  Also walked around the area around the hostel I’m staying at, quite a big shopping/restaurant district.

Third day was fantastic.  Found out from someone staying at the hostel that there was a taekwondo demonstration not far from the hostel, we went to that and it was amazing.  One hour long, free demonstration of pretty much everything they do in tkd.  Sparring, self defense, forms and a LOT of board breaking.  They also kicked apples held in the air while blindfolded, and even off of people heads.  The agility is absolutely amazing.  I took lots of videos.

After the taekwondo I headed of to a baseball game, it’s really big in Korea, with someone from the hostel and a group of Canadians who are teaching English in Korea.  After the game we hit the main night area of Seoul.  The bars here make you order food with drinks, everywhere, mainly expensive snacks but when it’s split up with a group it’s cheap.  Everything is cheap here.  The entire evening, which went until 3, I spent about the same as a hostel bed costs in Japan. Crazy.

Last full day in Seoul I climbed up one of the hills on the edge of town, very steep climb past a bunch of shrines with people banging drums and making strange kind of singing noises.  Fantastic view of Seoul from the top, just very hazy.  Later on I walked through the biggest market here, and one of the biggest in Asia.  Ate a huge bowl of noodles for $4, had another good evening.

Seoul city wall

Met so many cool people at this hostel, from all over the world.  Great times in Seoul.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Seoul”

  1. Pla says:

    Your page got all out of whack! Watching the video now :D

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.