BootsnAll Travel Network



Portland

On the way to Portland we camped for the night in the Mt Hood Nat’l forest, nice area but the next morning when we were going to explore the Mt Hood area the clouds rolled in very low and it was raining so we drove on to Portland.  

 

First impressions of Portland were good, very good.  First we stopped at a recommended Pub that was the best, most authentic English pub I have been in outside of England.  Then, the building next door had a sign on it for some beer & English food store had moved up the street.  We decided to check it out, it just happened to be the best beer store I have ever set foot in.  After making the best make-your-own-6pack ever, I discovered that they also had English chocolate etc that I had never before seen outside of England.  I am finding the Washington & Oregon have many English style places, more than the so called British Columbia.

 

Downtown Portland was somewhat strange, it being Labor Day weekend.  Many things were closed and some areas of town had hardly any people in them.  We did finally find a busy area with stuff open, several good looking restaurants and the one we ended up eating at had 100 taps of beer.  I had fresh shellfish and one of the best beer selections I’ve ever seen.  Apparently people in Portland like drinking good beer, this is no miller or bud town there are tons of beers brewed in the area and readily available on tap in Portland.

 

I also visited the biggest bookstore I have ever been in.  Half a dozen floors with every kind of book you can imagine, and it’s so big that they have another store down the street with their “technical” books.  I just got my Taiwan guidebook and something to read for my flight to Japan.

 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.