BootsnAll Travel Network



Buenos Aires; San Telmo, Parillas y Palermo

I got to my hostel in BA around midday, this is the building it’s in.  Really nice hostel.

my hostel

Then after a long awaited shower I went straight out to find some lunch.  I got 3 “meals” on the plane, but they aren’t very big and I was on it for 16 hours, I was famished.  A small cafe serving empanadas was the solution.  I managed to order and pay etc without using any English or pointing at anything, very happy with that.

I walked around the immediate area near my hostel, which is on the main road in the centre, Av de Mayo.  Lots of wonderful buildings with cool architecture.  I didn’t have the energy to do anything in the form of sightseeing, so after relaxing at the hostel for while I went out looking for some steaks with the guy I met on the flight over.  We got a recommendation for a Parilla (barbecue restaurant), but when we got there, around 6:30, we discovered it wasn’t open for another hour.  It seems most restaurants open around 8pm, but locals don’t really show up until closer to 10.  While waiting for it to open we walked around the area, full of shops that had closed for the day, and restaurants and bars that either hadn’t opened yet or were very dead.  We did find one really nice cafe/bar, that actually had a few people in it.  I ordered what appeared to be the house beer, and received a quite good pale ale.  I didn’t expect good beer in Argentina, so this was a nice surprise.  Walking around this San Telmo district reminded me a lot of Italy.

av de mayo

av de mayo

After that, we headed back to the restaurant which was now open and had a few customers inside.  However the experience was not as good as I was expecting.  The names of steaks on the menu were mostly different than the ones I had heard were good, most of the people in the place were tourists, and the menu had English translations on it.  The steak was pretty good beef, but was almost well done and were not asked how we wanted it cooked!  The wine was very good, and went perfectly with the meat.  Argentinean Malbec.  The best thing was the price, a steak at a nice place with side, 2 glasses of wine and the service charge included cost me about $9usd.  More to come.  After that, I went back to my hostel and slept, something I hadn’t done much of the last 3 nights.

My second day in BA, (it’s July already??) I ventured farther out of the city, into palermo, one of the barrios outside of the centro district.  Walked through the botanical gardens and Japanese gardens first…

botanic gardens

Japanese gardens

Then I just wandered through the area, on a few of the main avenues and looked for lunch.  Tried the Italian aspect this time, a pizza and pasta place with nice tablecloths and fancy decor, the sort of place I would never walk into in most countries due to the cost.  I had a large portion of delicious handmade fresh pasta, with an equally good assortment of freshly baked bread, a drink and the price came to just under $8usd!  After that I continued walking around the large barrio of Palermo, past loads of cafes and an assortment of shops.  The odd square lined with both too.

IMG_3603

IMG_3605

After taking the metro back to the centre, I walked around Plaza Mayo, at the start of Av de Mayo this is the main square in the city.  Then back down Av de Mayo to my hostel, crossing one of the widest roads in the world, 9 lanes in total going in each direction, divided into 4 roads.  All along Av de Mayo are lovely old buildings, and indeed all over the city.  Me gusta estar aqui.

Casa Rosada

cathedral

That night, we went out again searching for another steakhouse. (after 9pm this time)  After wandering around for a while, we found one that looked better than the night before.  It was.  No other tourists around, excellent service, similar prices and we were asked how we wanted the steaks cooked.  This steak lived up to the reputation.  Bife de chorizo es muy delicioso.

the Parilla

bife de chorizo y malbec vino

After dinner, we went to the same bar as the previous night, had a couple drinks as the place slowly emptied out and and at 1:30 we were handed the bill as they were closing.  This in the “city that never sleeps”!

awesome bar



Tags: ,

172 responses to “Buenos Aires; San Telmo, Parillas y Palermo”

  1. Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

  2. I really wanted to compose a quick comment to say thanks to you for those wonderful strategies you are giving on this website. My rather long internet lookup has at the end been honored with excellent suggestions to talk about with my family members. I would repeat that we website visitors are undeniably lucky to dwell in a really good website with so many wonderful professionals with beneficial tips. I feel very much happy to have come across your entire web page and look forward to plenty of more thrilling moments reading here. Thanks a lot once again for all the details.

  3. Google says:

    We like to honor lots of other world-wide-web web sites on the web, even though they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out.

  4. pdr training says:

    Sites of interest we’ve a link to

  5. one of our guests lately encouraged the following website

  6. the time to read or go to the subject material or web pages we have linked to below the

  7. very handful of internet sites that happen to be detailed beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly well really worth checking out

  8. 24/7 service says:

    please pay a visit to the web pages we comply with, including this one particular, because it represents our picks in the web

  9. Hallelujah says:

    Here is a superb Blog You may Come across Fascinating that we Encourage You

  10. What’s up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also create comment due to this brilliant piece of writing.|

  11. Unquestionably imagine that that you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while other people think about issues that they plainly don’t recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other people could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks|

  12. For hottest information you have to pay a visit web and on web I found this web page as a best web page for latest updates.|

  13. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, as i wish for enjoyment, since this this web site conations truly nice funny stuff too.|

  14. This is my first time go to see at here and i am truly impressed to read everthing at alone place.|

  15. Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this.

  16. Carlos Simi says:

    Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

  17. “Great Blogpost! great threat, i like it, thanks very_ much.”

  18. usually posts some really fascinating stuff like this. If you are new to this site

  19. Allen Burgin says:

    I really enjoy examining on this site, it has got great content . “Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.” by Lord Kelvin.

  20. riva web says:

    just beneath, are numerous totally not related internet sites to ours, even so, they are surely really worth going over

  21. dabjars says:

    one of our guests not long ago suggested the following website

  22. cat hotel says:

    always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I love but don’t get lots of link love from

  23. just beneath, are quite a few totally not related sites to ours, even so, they’re surely really worth going over

  24. we prefer to honor a lot of other internet web sites around the internet, even if they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out

  25. Sol Zeringue says:

    Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was looking for! “Time is money.” by Benjamin Franklin.

  26. Here are several of the websites we advise for our visitors

  27. Just a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style .

  28. lesbians says:

    we came across a cool website that you just may get pleasure from. Take a look for those who want

  29. SAI says:

    Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nevertheless really worth taking a search, whoa did a single discover about Mid East has got additional problerms too

  30. please click says:

    I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers|

  31. i loved this says:

    Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information specially the remaining part :) I take care of such information much. I used to be looking for this certain information for a very long time. Thanks and good luck. |

  32. Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing on your feeds or even I achievement you get right of entry to constantly quickly.|

  33. right here says:

    Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?|

  34. Kiyoko Choen says:

    Hello there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.

  35. Vibrator says:

    Sites of interest we’ve a link to

  36. Jo Raz says:

    You have noted very interesting points ! ps nice site. “If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one” by Abraham Lincoln.

  37. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nevertheless genuinely worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 learn about Mid East has got far more problerms as well

  38. Leia Paris says:

    I dugg some of you post as I thought they were handy very useful

  39. Utterly composed subject material , regards for information .

  40. Zella Younie says:

    Enjoyed reading this, very good stuff, regards . “The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.” by Archilocus.

  41. one of our visitors a short while ago suggested the following website

  42. doggy sex says:

    Really informative blog.Much thanks again. Cool.

  43. Amanda Rike says:

    Great write-up, I’m normal visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

  44. just beneath, are numerous totally not related web-sites to ours, nonetheless, they may be surely really worth going over

  45. The facts mentioned in the post are a number of the very best out there

  46. This is a topic that is near to my heart… Cheers! Where are your contact details though?|

  47. always a large fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but really don’t get a good deal of link enjoy from

  48. i loved this says:

    I love what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.|

  49. Sites of interest we have a link to

  50. Do you have any video of that? I’d love to find out more details.|

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.