BootsnAll Travel Network



Buenos Aires; Recoleta, La Boca and more steak

I slept well after my excellent steak, just making sure to get up before 11 to get the free breakfast.  Left the hostel around noon for the barrio of Recoleta, an upper class neighborhood that is home to the famous cemetery where Eva Peron and many other famous Argentineans are buried.

Evitas tomb

On my way there I had lunch, and stumbled into a microbrewery, tried their beer (average) and walked around a bit, slightly disappointed at the buildings there, much newer overall and much of it just looked like a well off area of any Western city.  A few old gems still exist there though.

The cemetery is another story entirely.  The massive tombs/shrine, some of which have glass windows so you can look inside at the coffins are a range of different architectural styles, some are very impressive.  Walking around there is morbid and cool at the same time, strange feeling.  Went back to my hostel after that and had some good pizza for dinner from the building next door, but cemented my opinion that the centre is not good for nightlife.  I booked a hostel in Palermo, home to much more, for the weekend.

tombs in the cemetary

tombs in the cemetary

On Friday, I walked to San Telmo, during the day this time and found it much busier with all sorts of restaurants and shops that were long closed when I’d been there at night.  I walked into a pizza place on a side street that advertised “empanadas llevar”, which were delicious but when I saw the pizzas they were bringing out to people I made a mental note to go back there for one at night one day.

plaza dorego

plaza dorego

From San Telmo I walked to the barrio of La Boca, where the first European settlement here was.  This area is not the most affluent area, and you aren’t recommended to walk around on much more than the few touristed streets.  I walked through Barracas on the way, the streets around here aren’t as modern and “polished” as the other parts of the city I’ve been in.

barracas barrio

The part of La Boca I saw, near the Boca Jr football stadium, is full of colourful houses and cobbled streets.  Lots of street art as well, corner cafes and lots of tourist shops.  Nice to look at but annoying to deal with all the people trying to sell you things, they even had a Diego Maradona look alike you could pose with.  On the longish walk back to my hostel I found some helado de dulce de leche, muy delicioso.  Then stopped at the bar I previously mentioned and like in San Telmo and tried another one of their great beers.  A good day out, about 10km of walking all together.

barrio La Boca

barrio La Boca

barrio La Boca

At night, I went out with a group from the hostel to the best renowned parilla in BA.  La Cabrera Norte.  This place costs more than most, my steak, the highest priced on the menu was about $15.  I paid about $25 in total for melt in your mouth good steak, wine, water, service and sides.  The cuts of meat were huge, everyone was sampling everybody else’s steaks as well, none were less than great.  The size of the single portion of rump steak, was around 1kg, probably the largest piece of meat I’ve seen served ever.  A couple people split one and still couldn’t finish it.  Mine was large but the right amount.  This was probably the latest meal I’ve ever eaten in my life, since the reservation we had for 10:00 was forgotten and we had to wait an hour and a half to get in.  Started eating at 12:30, left the restaurant at 2:00.  This is slightly after the peak dining hour here but certainly not uncommon as there were many people in the restaurant and the queue to get in was going until 1:00.

steak at La Cabrera Norte



Tags: ,

7 responses to “Buenos Aires; Recoleta, La Boca and more steak”

  1. Alex Kaminski says:

    is it light there real late into evening? it seems that no one does anything till late.

  2. Adam says:

    nope, it gets dark by 6:30pm, it is mid winter here.

  3. Mom says:

    What are the side dishes?

  4. Adam says:

    some of those were sauces, mustard, some other stuff I don’t know. There was a sort of pasta salad and roasted garlic. Another whole platter of sides included sweet potato mash, applesauce and several other unknown quantities.

  5. This is the stuff I explore for, smart information and nice site layout, bookmarked your site!

  6. seo plugin says:

    Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

  7. Buenos Aires; Recoleta, La Boca and more steak » TravelBlog Archive » Breakfast in Tokyo, Lunch in Cape Town & Dinner in Medellín

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.