BootsnAll Travel Network



real ideal

It was not ideal that two-year-old should need to use a toilet as we sat in the middle of Friday afternoon rushhour traffic on the southern motorway trying to escape ourselves from Auckland.
We took the nearest exit and found a suitably private spot for her. Then ignoring both the sign and the wife-pointing-out-what-the-sign-said, The Driver headed back onto the motorway. Northbound. Towards Auckland. Still rushhour. Even less ideal.
Back off the motorway again, and on again, this time in the right direction.
Crawling at barely 30km an hour, wife made a couple of jokes, but met with deadly serious response and so she retreated behind her knitting needles. Although speed increased, the trip still took over three hours. That’s a long time when adult conversation is restricted to route information and the age of the van. As darkness spread itself over the road, a tear trickled down wife’s cheek. She brushed it aside, determined to stop thinking about how boy and girl used to pack so much into the ten minute phone conversation they were allowed to have each day.

So began a bittersweet mournful weekend.

It was lovely to watch the children weaving strands of old friendships tighter.
It was exciting to peek into their adventure land, to climb a mountain, to observe a newly born lamb stagger to its feet for the first time, to zip around the quarry, to eat icecreams.
We were together. Yet we were alone.
They experienced without me.
Not one hug. Not one smile. Hardly even a word.
Of course, the almost uninterrupted adult conversation with friends was fantastic, but the children’s happiness to not-connect, tainted the newfound privilege.

Still, we caught up on journeys, we soaked up the sun, we puzzled over cryptic crosswords, we read out passages of books to each other, we watched a movie, we opened hearts, we threw round ideas.
That was the sweet bit. 

All too soon, the days were up and we were back in the car.
Another long quiet journey ahead.
I immersed myself in my own thoughts. I wrote this post in my head (but now, a day later, it’s not coming out as well as it was written yesterday!)

I determined.
We are not going to travel around the world strangers to each other.
We will connect.
We will grow closer, stronger, tighter.

I will love them.
I will let them know they matter to me.
I will make sure they know I want to hear their thoughts, their hearts.

I realised.
It’s the little things that can make a difference.
As we rise from beds, I will grab eye contact, mouth a greeting, give a word of encouragement. To each one.
It’s actually very easy NOT to do this in a large family. By the time you’ve said your seventh “good morning”, it may be feeling unnecessary, but it’s not unnecessary as far as the eighth person is concerned. Or the ninth or tenth.

I will ask questions.
What did you see today that made you laugh/sigh/shudder/hope?
Did you come across a memorable sight/sound/smell? If so, what?
What did you think about/ponder over/wonder at/learn?
What examples of beauty/service/sacrifice/love did you see?
What inspired you? Gave you courage? Strengthened your faith? Caused you to question? Prompted uneasiness?
What would you like to remember about today in a hundred years’ time?

Not every question every day.
But at least one.

And in the evening, a farewell, a blessing, a prayer breathed over each and every one of them.



Tags: , , ,

6 responses to “real ideal”

  1. Barbie says:

    That was so very touching. I’m sorry that your time away wasn’t as you wanted, but what a great wake up call. Thank you for sharing it with me. Those “good mornings” and “good nights” can seem very tiresome, but you’re right. Each person is an individual, not just a part of the group.

  2. kim says:

    Rachael, I hardly know you but really admire you for your honesty and bravery in sharing such personal struggles. I’m sure we can all think of times, days, weekends similar to yours. I know when I think ahead to our year together as a family travelling, there will be many more! My aim, like yours is to connect more with my family and learn to deal better with the stresses that life(especially while travelling) throws at us.

  3. katie says:

    rach,
    what i said about your faithfulness and friendship for life, we really mean.
    our kids adored every minute with yours.
    i am amazed again that twelve kiddos can be so happy all together.
    and we are totally blessed by all the tidy-ups.

    BD and i *loved* every minute with you and Sir Bear. loved the stories and the songs and the movie (even though i nodded off… that walk up the mountain fair wore me out, and i wasn’t even carrying a bubba!) and all our fabulous food.
    thanks so much for listening so carefully to my heart-ramblings.

    wishing you closeness and much joy as you step out on this newest adventure, that the last-minute-stresses will all melt away as you step on the plane.

    my J12 almost burst into tears as you roared off into the sunset… we’ll miss your proximity, but we’ll definitely keep up on your travels and we look forward to our next rendezvous… in a year or so. wow, that seems a long time away.

    love you to malaysia and thailand and europe and back X

  4. Rach says:

    katie-no-potayties
    it was a wonderful weekend. please don’t get me wrong.
    I feel privileged that you keep spilling your thoughts even when I keep on the same ol tracks!

    now wishing you guys unpunctuated peace too

    and tell J12 to watch the letterbox (warning: MamaBear was asked to read, but not edit!!!! AND all the eeeee-s are there for a reason…..apparently)

  5. katie says:

    we. love. mail.
    your J12’s top is in the mail too, tomorrow!!
    mwah X

  6. WOW! your “Jesus loves you” link tells me you also know that the most important thing in life is a relationship with a man who lived 2000 years ago. I know only one other family like yours and they wouldn’t even THINK about a trip like yours. Their second oldest (of 6) – Josh – was my partner on my Trike tour. His Mom is one of my four daughters and he is one of my 16 grandchildren.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *