BootsnAll Travel Network



latent worries

This cycling idea is gaining momentum. In fact, it has Rob firmly in its grip and I don’t think he could run away from it if he tried to now! This morning he rolled over in our deliciously comfy plain wooden slat bed that we are going to miss and whispered the latest dream before it faded from memory. “I was in the driver’s seat of one of those big old Auckland Regional Authority busses trying to get up Queen Street** for the second time….only thing was, I was pedalling. And boy was it hard work! Then I was trying to close the windows at the back so that no burglars would get in while we slept.”  
The saving his family from nighttime intruders whilst on a road trip has its roots in reality. When firstborn daughter was a mere seven weeks old we drove down to Taupo for – hey, this is funny and I’m only just realising the irony as the words come off my fingertips – as I was saying, we were in Taupo for the young strong muscular healthy fit Dadda to ride the 160km Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge (heeheehee, laugh with me). We were parked in the van, new parents sleeping in the back, new baby sleeping on the front seat….when in the wee hours of the morning Rob felt something grab hold of his foot. The first I knew of it was the deepest gutteral scream you’ve ever heard fading out the now-wide-open window and scrambled footsteps receding in the distance.
Let’s face it, nowhere is entirely free from risk!
We will carry little concerns around the world with us, but we will make all effort to minimise the risks and enjoy the adventure.

                                                        **arguably one of the steepest streets in our city



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *