BootsnAll Travel Network



downtown sights and sounds

composed by everyone as we walked 12km round town today – go little legs!
Guangzhou, China

DOWNTOWN….

….SIGHTS….

….AND SOUNDS

voices calling
(“Come and buy from this shop”)

hands clapping
(urging you in to THIS shop)
(seriously, attendants stood outside every single shop, clapping)

music blaring
(as if the clappers and shouters were not making noise enough, they added music)

trolleys clattering
(along cobblestones, pushers shouting you out of their way)

motorbikes whirring
(all of them orange with a big board on the back for your load, all for hire)

bike bells ringing
(ting-a-ling-a-ling)

car horns honking
(though not as many as Vietnam or Cambodia)

scissors snipping
(liver into bite-sized pieces)

cards smashing
(down on to a table from old men’s hands)

rat-trap seller bamboo-clacking
(she couldn’t clap her hands because she was pulling her wares on a trolley, so she had a bamboo-clacker instead – and what a racket that made!)

dressed-up rooster blowing a horn
(Rob hoped he was paid well for his efforts, rouged cheeksĀ and embarrassing costume)

fried dumplings crunching
(and later fried wontons too)

wontons squishing
(these ones were famously in noodle soup)



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “downtown sights and sounds”

  1. grandpabear says:

    Wow! What a kaleidoscope of sensations. Great pictures and ‘verse'(?)
    A few questions: were they really rubber bands, or some unchewable-but-edible morsels? Did ER finish that huge platefull? Was that a cathedral I saw in the background of one pic?

  2. rayres says:

    Well, you could chew them if you want to, but most people would use them as rubber bands. We ordered five of the huge plates and shared them between us! (and plate of dumplings) At $1.70 a plate, it made a fairly inexpensive meal. Cathedral – yep, or church anyway. Actually we saw two.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *