BootsnAll Travel Network



?do you know?

by Rach-who-does-not-know-but-wonders
Guangzhou, China

What do these pictures have in common?

This morning we were reading the passover story and it occurred to me that almost every house in China has red papers above the doorways and down each side. I know the Chinese have a creation story similar to the Christian creation account, and they have a flood story, too…..now I’m wondering if their red papers have any connection at all with the original red doorway painting episode. Does anyone know?

(When we first considered this I wondered if we would have a photo – turns out we had a few!!!!)



Tags: , , , ,

5 responses to “?do you know?”

  1. Fiona says:

    Hi,nice pics.
    Those red paper pasted on the wall called”Springs scrolls”.
    The meaning is just about”good luck to your health,to your family”and so on~
    I love your blog so much!
    Keep walking,my friends.
    I wish I could travel with you guys~
    That must be a fantastic journey!
    Never forget me,my friend,and do keep in touch!
    I will miss all of you so much!
    Have a good journey forever~
    Fiona^_^

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    This sort of thing is fascinating isn’t it! I love the things in each culture which point to a common heritage. The Flood account alone is amazing, down to the number of people in the boat which was made … I am looking fwd to hearing about the writings around the doorways.
    Thanks for the knitting links. We are planning to knit up a storm. I hope to one day make socks. They really are amazing Rach.
    My kids are now more regularly asking about what you are all up to and finding you on the map. Living geography 🙂 Hubby Tim is coming home today from Bangkok and emailed stories of Tuk-tuks. Of course, that led to discussion of “remember when that family …” Love it! 🙂
    Blessings.

  3. Naomi says:

    have you been able to translate any of the writing? they all seem to have different characters, not the same writing. Can you tell if they are mass produced, or individually scribed?

  4. Teri says:

    Hi, I am signed on as someone in our church heard me speak about our time in China – 3 years working there.
    Just reading this makes me soo home sick, even without the excellent photos!
    The scrolls each have very different meanings, we had on occasion to take some down as being inappropriate for our door way. I understand there are as many meanings as there are scrolls, but the general idea is good luck to all who enter. Not many of our Chinese friends would see it as a reference to a God, unlike Hindu inparticular who are very aware at all times.

  5. maple says:

    Hi,I’m a chinese college student,I love your blog very much:)
    For the Spring scrolls,in the history,only individually scribed,like the picture with kids and bikes,those are good chinese calligraphy.Normally,those who write well in the town is always famous and as soon as the spring festival arrived,all the neighbourhood will ask them to write spring scrolls.However now,produced spring scrolls turns about to be popular as it’s more convinient,especially in cities!
    good journey!
    regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *