BootsnAll Travel Network



*children*

melaka wheel

children

After only two weeks on the road in this part of the world, it would seem a little premature to go making sweeping generalisations, but something keeps happening over and over….almost every day, in fact.

In New Zealand we are often asked, “Are they all yours?” with reference to the children. In Singapore and Malaysia we have been asked, “Are you one family?” It is a subtly different question. And the answer elicits quite a different response. Kiwis usually ask if we don’t have a television or make some other joking comment when they get over their disbelief. Here, when we say “Yes, four boys and four girls” people smile and say either, “Ah, so bless” or “Ah, so lucky”.

The Indian man we met in Melaka had asked the question and concluded, “You are rich, very rich.” We couldn’t agree more.

In fact, another exchange similar to this prompted J14 to write in her journal:

One week and already it is very easy to see we are rich. In fact, a lady said to Dad, after learning that he has eight kids, “You very rich to have eight.”
Almost everywhere there are buildings that are old and about to fall down. Every stray dog and cat, and there are lots!, is thin. There are lots of beggars.
I think we are very privileged to live in New Zealand, because there is fresh air, good drinking water, more space, not such a harsh climate and clean beaches.

Yes, at the end of the day, all the comforts of life are nice, but it is having someone special to share experiences with that makes us feel truly rich.
People, not possessions.

That said, today we went shopping!!!!! Replacing torn pants, shrunken skirt and swapping a skirt for shorts. Did a bit of posing in front of namesake shops too 😉

shopping day

And, of course a bit of eating:

naan dinner

 

By the way, there’s a new post up dated the 23rd……right here. There are photos of mouth-watering food, caving adventures and even the children’s great-great-grandparents!



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “*children*”

  1. MarthaAnn says:

    Love all the pictures of FOOD, OH yes the family photos are great too.
    It must be great to be off to a GREAT adventure so soon.

    MarthaAnn

  2. jen says:

    that wheel is HUGE!!!

    J14 writes well – interesting to read
    a very sensible and grateful young lady 🙂

    My sister has a large family too – they not too long ago had their eighth child – 7 boys and 1 girl 🙂

    always interesting seeing the food 🙂

  3. Fiona Taylor says:

    Your dinner looks delicious! I think the comment regarding family is so very interesting. Maybe you could record some of those comments and replay them every now and then in NZ! What a delightful and refreshing way to look at it. I always smile when you see people counting and then whispering to their neighbour! “Are they all yours” I was asked, “yes, but some are at home” was my response truthfully. Poor lady nearly hit her foot with her draw 🙂 You are VERY rich indeed!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *