BootsnAll Travel Network



of friendly folks and age-old legends

by one of the drivers, who is wondering when the roads will widen
Tintagel, England

She is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Never mind that a gale is blowing across the fields; it is summer and one wears shorts in summer (in fact, one begins wearing shorts in April!) Besides, they say, it is but a gentle breeze today, not a gale at all. We all have polarfleece jackets on as we stand chatting, exchanging adventures, information and addresses. Then they are off and so are we.

Aunty L wanted a photo of Newquay for her surfie husband, so we were on a detour before we even got started. Not being a surf follower, I failed to appreciate the significance of this particular beach – I mean, wasn’t last night’s beach a pretty picture? I giggled when Grandpa, my front seat travelling companion for today, murmured words to the same effect. However, Newquay turned out to be quite a picture, despite there being not even a ripple in sight. The beach itself was down a steep cliff and as the English summer rain was beginning, we didn’t venture down the stairs, preferring to remain in the comfort of the Bear Cave for sandwiches and fruit.

Thankfully the rain had cleared by the time we arrived at King Arthur’s birthplace, Tintagel Castle.

We had planned to push on further today, but by the time we had finished exploring the castle ruins, there was just time to buy Cornish pasties and scones from a man we had watched making them earlier, and decided to bunk down in this carpark for the night so as not to push the little kids over the edge. Pays to watch the steep cliffs, literal and figurative.

PS By Rob. 
Taking advice from a now-NZ-based former Pom (thanks Derek), Dad and I went out in search of a scrumpy tonight. How does any self respecting tourist choose which pub to go to? The one with the wifi you can see from the carpark of course! Unfortunatelu scrumpy was out… instead we got a “rattler”… a similar cider with a sting in the tail. Good stuff though! AND we got free wifi 🙂

Time on the road: need to check Jboy13’s record!
Distance covered: 117km



Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 responses to “of friendly folks and age-old legends”

  1. Sharonnz says:

    Pasties AND scrumy – jealous!! Castles – even more jealous!!

  2. Allie says:

    WOW. Some castle. It looks like an English Macchu Pichu.

  3. Gran and Pa says:

    You are right. What a place to build a castle. Could live with that view anyday. Great photos especially of Egirl3. Enjoying the travel and commentaries.

  4. Fiona says:

    lol~those pipes look like huge chinese dumplings~~^_^

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *