BootsnAll Travel Network



Malaysia – truly asia NOT

Well the island of Penang, off the west coast of Malaysia, is truly nothing
to write home about (so i didn’t). i stayed in the cheapest bungalow on the beach i could find ($10 – since it is mostly beach-style resorts here) and planned my escape.

i did have a great hike through the national park ‘jungle’ along the north west tip of the island, along three beaches, and ending with monkey (literally) beach. And i’m a sucker for a good history museum.

But Malaysia i am discovering is for tourists not travellers, and there is a big difference between the two. Malaysia is offensively westernised, there is a McD’s and Starbucks on every other corner, crap western food is abundant, and everyone speaks english. it is my personal mission to find a cafe that is Malaysian, and not American, owned. i have become passionate about anti-globalisation and using my purchasing power to boycott big business. Westernisation is devastating to witness.

Unlike peaceful thailand, the men here are intent on harassing me, the bus
driver asked me on a date, i have had proposals of marriage, and men on
motorcycles sidle up to me to try their shoddy lines. i have taken to wearing a wedding ring (seriously!) and have stopped telling people i am travelling alone.

For the next few days i’m in the capital KL staying at a great little guesthouse where i’ve met heaps of other travellers, so have people to go out clubbing with (its a culture shock of its own having been in rural thailand for nearly 6 weeks). Looking forward to flying to Kota Kinabalu in a few days and ?climbing the mountain (4, 000 feet, anyone seen Touching the Void?).

After Christmas i think i will spend a few months in india and Nepal before making my way to Beijing to meet up with my old flatmate. That’s the plan, but everything is negotiable.



Tags:

Comments are closed.