BootsnAll Travel Network



Across the border and into the city

Day 22:

Leisurely stroll around the lakes of INTERLAKEN area, punctuated by stops for a picnic with the ducks, coffees on reclining lounges, and a cosy loveseat at the edge of the lake – the perfect vantage point from which to watch mad dogs and Englishman enjoy a brisk swim. Sunburnt and heat affected we stumbled into our local for a beer and cider over a few rounds of cards on the outdoor terrace overlooking the mountains.

Day 23:

Quick trip up to the capital BERN, we wandered through the extensive markets picking up apple strudels and the like fresh from the bakers oven. On through the underground shops to end with a coffee in the central square. On across the border into Germany, we stopped at FREIBERG for a pint of local beer made onsite (the first beer I have ever enjoyed), and a mansize plate of hearty, simple, overcooked stodge. We explored the cobbled streets, alley ways and canals, animated by musicians and street performers at every turn. Back in the car to find a place to camp in the BLACK FOREST just a little further north, but as the rain set in we settled on a family run, rustic inn south of FREUDENSTADT. We drank regional wine, which ironically was the most undrinkable liquid I had ever been served, watered down as it was with half flat mineral water. I guess thats why you never hear about German wines.

Day 24: Easter sunday celebrated with lindt chocolates in bed. Short drive to TRIBERG for a nature walk to “Germanys largest waterfall” which consisted of a stream 165m long, punctuated by drops of about 1 metre. Everyone else was madly taking photos. We were still looking for the waterfall. But the walk was peaceful and we found a spot to squirrel watch as they scampered and buried their nutty treasures. Black forest cake in town, then a little shopping for birkenstock shoes and cuckoo clocks. On to BADEN BADEN a spa town filled with nouveau riche tourists where camp sites were unheard of. We drove around looking for a hotel but it was Easter Sunday and most places were closed or full. I drove into one place with a perfect sign on one side, smashed on the other, and as I proceeded down the long drive the place looked dodgy and a little intimidating.  In a tipsy haze brought on by a lunchtime beer with no lunch, I swiftly reversed into a 3 point turn to get the hell out, and smashed the tail light into a tree. Finally found a guesthouse close to town and set off on a lovely promenade along a stream through the botanic gardens. The gardens go for kilometres, with a path past grand mansions, manicured lawns and hedge mazes, spectacular statues and beautiful fountains. We drank more beer and had german pub grub (more cheese-bread-potato for the vegetarian).

Day 25:

Spa heaven!!! The Freiderich-something 19th century thermal baths with 17 rooms, each individually decorated with dome ceilings, mosaics, paintings, sculptures, stainglass windows, and ranging from sauna to steam rooms, and cool to warm to hot baths.  I felt a little like royalty being bathed in body milk and brushed and scrubbed from head to toe. Then after a few hours of soaking being swaddled like a baby in warm sheets and a blanket for a seista in the sleeping room. BLISS. We slowly made our way on to NUREMBERG in Bavaria, and a found a busy market where we loaded up on the regional specialities: sausages, gingerbread and herbacious beer (yummy). Being Easter Monday, still very little was open, so we settled on an Indian Feast across from our hotel – without a doubt the best meal in Germany so far – enough said.




Leave a Reply