BootsnAll Travel Network



Blowing kisses to Alaska

In a tentative attempt to get techy with my travels, I am starting this travel blog to help stay better connected to the people I know and love who are now far and wide! Officially it SHOULD have begun with my exit from Alaska, but since that was riddled with mania, tears, and general chaos, I’ll have to do a quick recap of the past three weeks instead….

I left Alaska 7:30am August 30th after no sleep, robbery on the curbside, stuffing the cracks in my car, and watching a huge bull moose eat my neighbor’s trees. I’m sure that as I drove away I left a trail of small toys and goldfish crackers. It took 2 1/2 days to rediscover sleep, sanity, and a sense of humor again. After that, the roadtrip joys began. I loved the simplicity of it all–my schedule, my needs, my meals. Even losing my wallet off the roof of my car just didn’t seem so bad (kind of lightening my load; if only it could have been a big box of files instead). My parents had the undesirable job of driving a fat Uhaul full of MORE stuff (that they had lovingly boxed and packed) and kept me great company for the first several days through Canada.

Despite some undeserved haze from wildfires, the national parks were amazing and treated me to great hikes and bike rides–Banff/Jasper, Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Dinosaur, Telluride, Mesa Verde, and Chaco Canyon. It was actually a relief to remind myself that I really hadn’t left all things wild and beautiful behind me in Alaska.

In a not-so-direct route, I dipped down to the South for Austin City Limits Music Festival. It was a hot but fun weekend to enjoy seeing a new town, hang out with a friend, listen to new and favorite music, and remind myself why I ain’t livin’ in the South no more!

Next stop….leaving for Uganda with the family on Monday! Next challenge….figuring out how to include not-so-huge pictures with this!!



Tags: , , ,

-1 responses to “Blowing kisses to Alaska”

  1. savuth says:

    Have fun and get those pics up.

  2. J.D. Miller says:

    Cindy,

    I look forward to continued postings from your travels to far-away places…this is cool! And get some pics up here!

    Jay

  3. Anne says:

    Cindy:

    You will need to purchase a post card at each of your stops- and post a picture of to satisfy the postcard rule!!! Let me know when you get close to Fiji so I can send you to my sister. Hope that the travels bring you more joy and wonder than you can possibly contemplate experiencing. If you change your mind Aleut needs you!

    Anne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.