BootsnAll Travel Network



High Tea, parties and football

Tea was great. The champagne was good. The tea was good too. Both at the same time? not as good.

We were seated near the piano, towards the back of the hall, where they have a flaming like bar, and a piano. The guy on the piano wouldn’t play “great balls of fire”, but we distracted him enough chatting to him while he was trying to play.

High tea

“The Afternoon Tea Tradition. Anna, 7th Duchess of Bedford, is reputed to have originated the idea of afternoon tea in the early 1800s. She conceived the idea of having tea in the afternoon to ward off the hunger pangs between lunch and dinner. The Duchess started having a tray of tea with bread and butter served to her in the mid-afternoon. It became a regular occurrence and she began to invite other high society ladies to join her. Along with tea, there would be small pastries with clotted cream or preserves, delicate sandwiches and scones. These habits soon became a good reason for social gatherings, and started a trend that is still very much a part of British life”

The Dorchester Champagne Afternoon Tea
A glass of Dorchester Rosé champagne
Finger sandwiches: Marinated cucumber and cream cheese, egg mayonnaise with shiso cress, chicken with wholegrain mustard mayonnaise, smoked salmon
Warm scones from our bakery
Served with homemade strawberry jam, a seasonal jam and clotted cream
A selection of French pastries
Tea or coffee

The food was superb, and the desserts were delicious. really fancy and high end, only what you would expect.

Lets see, Friday we went to Roller disco. It was really neat. Very few people can roller-skate, so the atmosphere is completely different with most people trying to concentrate on what they’re doing. Busy place, 3 roller disco floors. Fell twice, and knocked two people over 🙂 all worth it. Allie, thanks for the b-day cake. You’ll always have that thought of me riding the horse there. Oh ya, and Josh, always good hanging out. I’m sure we did something sat too, but can’t remember what.

rollerdisco

Joe Auzzie was going away.. so lots of time with him before he left. Hampton court, the hedge maze was fun. It took about 3 minutes running. Sunday roast was great in the pub, a huge meal! Many good days…. Some pub near his place, a dinner, his work party, and more…

St Pattys day. had some drinks at Finchley road, and some in Fullham at Brogans. Left before midnight couldn’t breath. cough, cough. Sunday was more of surprise to the festivities. A neat parade, with a great photo, interesting costumes, and i felt bad for the kids in the parade when it started to snow, then hailed, then rained, but turned nice again all within the hour.
Concerts were going at more than 3 places in central – the main one we saw at Trafalgar square, free Irish movies, dancing, and many more things going on. The main band we saw had some strange old guy as lead singer… you should have seen him dance and play whatever the heck those things were.

St Patty's day parade

Saw a football game today with Nick. Leyton Orient vs Scunthorpe united. Football league one.
The chanting and singing never ended… Soo many different songs! It a good thing fans are separated. The guys in front of us, we’re really into it, awhile the little kid beside up banged constantly on the sheet metal wall to make a lot of noise.
It was rather a chilli day, so ended up drinking hot chocolate instead of beer. But they won’t let beer in the stands! A disgrace to the way stadiums are run. who wouldn’t let everyone drink beer? always had to go down to the bar.
Scunthorpe is ranked #1 in this league, while Leyton is… quite a ways down. Leyton played hard! controlled the game most of the time. 1-0 Leyton at the first half. Second half, Scunthorpe scored early to tie it up, near to the end Leyton scored again. 2-1. Two minutes of play left.. scored. Tied it up. And that’s how it ended.

I like the fact that the British can laugh at themselves or each other. The guys outside in the cars who got chained up, were receiving quite the congratulations. Now that’s good humour.

….



Tags:

0 responses to “High Tea, parties and football”

  1. Zita says:

    Hi Geoff, nrI understand Miles may have already gotten to you, but in case I beat him to it, we have news. Jason and I have decided to get married- he proposed on March 25th, at an Eric Clapton concert (which rocked!) and our wedding is set for February 29, 2008. Just wanted to let you know, since the grapevine may not make it’s way to you. nrnrHope all is well in Europe and that you’re still tearing apart the hearts of those crazy brits! I hear periodical updates from Miles and it sounds like you’re still up to your crazy antics! Hope it’s tons of fun. Do you know when you expect to return to Canada?nrnrAnyway, this is a long comment so I’ll let you go- check out our blog for more updates.nrnrTake care, nrZita (and Jason)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *