BootsnAll Travel Network



Confessions of a comedian

I can’t spell. Who knew? (written Dec 2006)

That was an amazing comedy act. Soho. Private club. Class showcase, Dec 2006. It went alright… it felt rough, like passing cardboard, but overall it was a success!

I must say, that’s one of the most amazing experiences so far. The class is so supportive, its like an AA meeting. Very upbeat, very encouraging. Yet, its incredibly diverse. University lecturers, consultants, students, people who get classes for free, every profession, every walk of life… comedy is universal. Except when I make reference to Canadian stuff, I need to explain that.

One thing that is absolutely amazing, is to look at where we all started off, and how each person developed their own characters, routines and stage personalities. We all came away with something. And in the period of 10 weeks? That was one heck of a quick and fitting progress!

I think in the end, the showcase ended up quite different in results, than the classes. The crowd composure was mostly middle to older age people. They didn’t like dirty acts.

“Who invited the grumpy old farts?” was my comment to the university lecturer. “You were talking to them, what was wrong with them? Oh, they’re your friends.”

They were hecklers in the crowd. They sure were a bunch of #’%^! I recall quite clearly, that they were not funny, and quite annoying. The last guy blew up at them. Then elbowed one in the head. Quite rightly, we were clapping hard. Yes, that is what we think of hecklers. Seriously, get a hobby.

Few of us are ready to quit, or to let it dye out. We are amass organizing and planning for the future. Keep going. More laughter, more crowds, and good times for all.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *