BootsnAll Travel Network



Stonehenge, Bath and London at Easter break

It’s easter break! and so the school is off for two weeks, and the support staff at the school are off for one.

Now you think I would have huge plans, but some more minor items because it’s a busy time, and seeing tourist places around London.

Sat – Went to the science museum with the group. I told them about the test that told me I think like a girl. They all laughed. I showed them the test. Then I laughed. They think like girls too. Followed up by dinner at Wagamama and a Jack The Ripper walk… oooo, scary. Can you beleive only 5 murders? that’s not bad, but not great either. I can do better. The night ended with some bad food in Brick Lane.

science museum

JackTheRipperTour

There was a new group of people I met last week at the pub crawl. Really friendly and great people. They were the ones at Jack the Ripper walk and Brick lane saturday. So for Sunday, Nathaniel and her brother were going to see Windsor castle, so that’s where I ended up.

Nice place. Well, it should be, for the queen! It limited in the areas you can go, but understandable given that it’s a working castle. Seems like the other royal places, nicer than Hampton court. Close to the same are Palace of Holyrood. Larger because of a few things like the church. Of course, realy and lots of guards here. They still do their little changing ceremonry each time a guard, anywhere, changes.

Afterwords I thought it was a good idea to buy a tub of ice cream for dinner. Honeycomb! crazy delicious. I went through about ten spoons, then nearly died of sugar. The
ingredients were milk, honeycomb, brown sugar, white sugar, sugar, glucose, fructose… that’s every sugar known to man! whats wrong with these people? I managed to finish the tub off. Have had enough ice cream for a little while.

WindsorCastle

Wed – stonehenge and bath. Lots of pictures. It was pretty neat to see it. Of course, you can’t get too close to it.
One difficulty was getting out there. A train, 25£ to the nearest town, then bus (5£+), or National express buses that don’t have proper schedules to be able to link them right now. So in the end, went with Anderson tours, Stonehenge and Bath for 39£s. The funnies postcard I saw was a picture of the sheep around stonehenge. Stonehenge? who cares, i’m a sheep.

In bath, there was some really good Pasty from a local store. You know its good when you don’t need a drink or anything else. Had another one, pork and apple, from a chain but not nearly as good. Anyway, lunch aside, the Roman baths were rather small, but very well preserved. Of course, they still “work”, the spring water still flows through it. Not nearly as impressive in size as the ones in Rome, but much much more preserved. The town itself was interestingly built, as the whole town is and must be built out of the sand?stone that it started off with. Also, the structure of the houses seems to conform identically for a large portion of the town, to give it a orderly and conformed look.

After the tour, it felt pointless to go home, so I went out to the national gallery. Funny thing, a good portion was closed due to staff strikes.

Stonehenge

BathInBath

Thurs – went to get my entry visa for Egypt. I got it, so it went well. Was out and saw Westminster, and Tate modern while I was waiting. Westminster has all the famous and royal people burried there. I still remember it for the organ recital, that was neat. I’m begginning to realize that I don’t really remember most of the things that we see, so no audio guide, and as usual nothing from the gift shop. But, do remember some. If only you could take pictures of some of these places.

Tate still had the temporary exhibit – slides, so plan to head back to buy tickets to go on the slides. Saw the mirror exhibit, just automatic sliding doors made from mirrors. Strange. Also went shopping for travel items.

Well, now it’s the long weekend. To be posted soon.



Tags: , ,

-184 responses to “Stonehenge, Bath and London at Easter break”

  1. Anonymous says:

    Happy Easter Geoff. I hope things are going well, and that you are having tons of fun. Keep in touch!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *