BootsnAll Travel Network



Parks, parties and poutine

How do you know you’re Canadian? You go eat poutine and watch hockey…

April 6th weekend
Easters end

Josh and Stacey, what a great idea for easter and what great people. Its nice to see you guys relaxed. And drunken easter! not that we need any more excuses to drink, but there’s another one. The friends back home will be happy to hear that you are both doing well.

Fri- saw the Funny Side of Covent Garden. They were great! My face hurt from laughing so much. It was the best place yet, thanks Tom for picking up the slack from our crew. It’s always a good time with comedians. Everyone had a seat reserved, the prices at the bar were reasonable, and the club was nice and small. It was like a wine cellar, black, with black curtains, a bar roof, and red curtains merging at the stage. The comedians, at least the last two, did a lot of character based jokes. It worked for them. A frizzy haired, physics instructor like einstein type and a big bouncer type. He gets asked the only thing bouncers get asked, “if i go out, can i come back in?.” Simple enough question for most of us, but for some bouncers it turns into a deep philosophical question. I keep having to ask people if others have real british accents because it is easier to understand now.

Sat, was out at the pub, Porter House… we stoped by a candy store, must have been imports, on the way out and I had to get some crickets. Not just any crickets, bacon and cheese. Actually, they rather taste like nothing. Just crunchy. And for those interested, they have absolutely no nutritional value.

Sun, who knows…. hm. Threw a lot of things out.

They still haven’t found a replacement for me at work. The one girl they interviewed turned down the offer, now time is ticking. I think I can train people pretty well, so it won’t be a panic until one week is left. Hope they start soon. Next week schools back in session so everyone will be back.

This Kiwi guy moved into our house to take over Nicks room because he moved away. He’s pretty hilarious… really full of character, not high energy because he just lays around watching movies, but chatting he’s full of energy and excitement. We stayed there and talked about clubs, and movies, and he did is Arnold impressions. Watched equilibrium and Ronen?. The five foot speakers he moved into the living room are great for music and the movies we watch on his laptop.

That almost brings things to this weekend…
The girl at the bar on wed made a good point, why hang around with canadians? who knows, they just seem easy to get along with…

—–

April 13th weekend.

It was another partial week back at work. Busy as usual, time flies!

This weekend was busy! So busy, so fun. Friday-drink at Covent Garden Walkabout. What amazing luck, we (mindog) found a seat. Covent is looking quite busy nowadays… the true summer is back! Its 25 degrees, sunshine, and the trolls from under the bridge are out!

Sat after some shopping, we had a house warming party for Jess. This group of Canadians, americans, kiwis, auzzies, they are lots of fun and really easy going good natured people. Good thing too because my directions were a little bit off and some ended up in Edgeware. Edgeware is waaayyyy up north, instead of Edgeware road. ooops.

Some of the new Canadians I met a few weeks ago brought along Phil, who was from… Edmonton! What the heck hey. We had a three crew strong there from Edmonton. He’s from U of A, on an internship. Why didn’t we think of that? Can’t wait to get a London – going back to edmonton – crew going. So the party was fun, Jess has a really nice new place, and it had a patio. Perfect. I brought along those crickets, because they weren’t done, and had to ask the guys, “are you a real man?” Challenging people’s manhood, it’s good entertainment. Can you ever live it down if you aren’t? Especially since some guys wouldn’t eat it, but some of the girls did. Soon they were all gone! mmm, tasty, wish there were pictures of that. Back to the candy store for more!

Crickets

The crew split, some to go play nintendo wii and some to head to Covent. We ended up by Leicester, in a place called the Verve. Only 7£s cover. Small cozy place, with a dance floor downstairs. Sheranga proved his skills, and we met a lot of British people that night. In fact, all were British! I can’t tell you how unusual that is. Its rare to met Brits there, one in twenty on a good night, so this place was just unusually filled by them. Some of our friend had a disappearing act, The last shot of tequila proved to be quite strong! and a little too much means being carried home for someone.

Just waking up, and getting calls on sun morning. The warm heat on sunday, the park proved the place to be as we swam our way through the heat to a nice spot on the grass. The laughter was provided by human stupidity, strangers through trees, people playing games badly, and one guy sprawled out in the front of a paddle boat while his girl in the back paddled them along. Good work! Lots of new people too.

Of course Canadians, once again prove we’re Canadians by heading back to Covent to The Maple Leaf to eat a dinner of wings, poutine and watch Calgary in the playoffs. Nostalgic because those same announcers are still on, and we haven’t heard them in ages. Phil mentions places like Hudsons, remembered fondly for cheap wings and games, and it makes other old places come to mind. We meet other friends there, and some people who run into other old friends. All hanging out at the Canadian bar. By the way, where’s Edmonton? What the heck happened this year?

Back home Roger had a BBQ going and it was good chicken! He has this thing, you say, no I don’t want any, and he gives it to you anyways. Yep, that pretty much always happens. The good music on the 5 foot speakers, me and the Kiwi sharing weekend battle stories.

Its nice to get back to work and have free lunches again. And a gym. Ahh, much better.

I can’t tell you how happy that kind of weekend is. Busy, definately, and always a good busy because its just visiting friends. There can be thousand places to see, a million people to meet, and wow even without what a weekend. That’s what makes me think, this is the way it should be. This is life, at the best of it.



Tags:

One response to “Parks, parties and poutine”

  1. Zita says:

    Well, Miles, Jordan, Rachelle, Jason, Myself and Jason’s sister Cristan were actually out at hudsons last night watching hockey. Of course, we weren’t watching calgary- can’t get any of those die hard oilers fans to cheer for the enemy. But your name did come up, as we wondered what sort of trouble you were getting yourself into! So, shortly after you were thinking of Hudson’s, Hudson’s was thinking of you!nrWhen do you head back to canada?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *