BootsnAll Travel Network



Workin’ Class Bangkokians

After some offensive emails regarding my recent writing hiatus, perhaps its time to indulge readers in another sexy and riveting tale. Except, we haven’t been up to much. We’ve again extended our stay in Bangkok…a week turned into two months, and two months has given way to another three…and we’ll now be here until mid-September. We have jobs and look forward to weekends, yet again. (just couldn’t resist)

JR is now known as “ Teachuh JR” in his place of employment, a third grade classroom. Every morning his students greet him with “Good Moh-ning Teachuh JR” and he must respond “Good Morning Class”. He wears crisp button down shirts with a tie, dress pants and cheap shoes with Dr. Scholl’s inserts. He looks really cute when he leaves every morning, but then returns very crumpled and dripping in sweat from the oppressive afternoon humidity. (and complaining of the cheap footwear)

He really enjoys it, and is famous for being extremely enthusiastic, loud and wildly expressive in the classroom. Most Thais have nicknames, and JR’s classes have included Mazda, Honda, Ploy, Pim, Ham, Gift, Pee, Poo, Apple, Bunnie, In Touch and France. This has become a source of constant entertainment, the irony of a parent nicknaming their child “Poo” only when future plans include an English education…it’s just too easy.

Most of you are naturally thinking…how is he teaching English if he doesn’t speak Thai? That’s just how it works around here…the private schools want white native English speakers–no experience required– to mold the minds of Thailand’s wealthy youth. (I’m not being facetious or racist…just presenting the facts. They really only want the whities around here.) So if anyone wants a change of pace, come to Asia and scoop up a good paying English teaching job in less than a week. Again, if your white that is.

Last week I substituted for two days in a first grade classroom in the outskirts of Bangkok. I panicked when one girl burst into tears after “Mit” stole her Hello Kitty pencil, and proceeded to poke her arm with the stolen writing utensil. What the F was I supposed to do? I made Mit hand over the pencil and told her to poke his arm so they’d be even. Her response was a look of bewilderment, and I was glad that the first graders could understand only a portion of what I was saying. Overall it was a really great experience- I was temporarily transformed into an uber-patient slow-talking smile machine and felt a rush of sentimental gratitude for all of my old teachers. (Especially Mrs. Baker, my first grade teacher. I barfed on her lap and peed my pants. Separately.)

In other news, I started an internship yesterday with an English weekly lifestyle & what’s happenin’ publication called BK Magazine. I’m not getting paid, but will have the opportunity to get published and thoroughly learn the business. So far so good…more well suited to me than say… trucks and lumpers and sweet talking Vern in perishable receiving at Publix in Murfeesboro.

[Side note: For readers tuning in from CH…I had a dream two nights ago that it was 4pm on a Friday and someone called me for three trucks, Jersey to MIA. It’s officially been 5 months since I left (in tears thanks to Pilat). When will it end! Electroshock therapy might be my only option.]

This weekend we’ll be performing the loathsome and odious visa run. We’ll board a bus Sunday night with lots of overweight German sex tourists in silk shirts. (that statement alone will terrify my mother) We’ll ride for 10 hours to the Laos border, and the person in front of me will undoubtedly cough/swallow phlegm/cough the entire time. We’ll have our visas by Tuesday, and will be home by the wee morning hours of Wednesday…just in time to go to work. And its two hundred bucks a person! I can only look forward to weird eye candy with unorthodox habits, so I can stare at them for hours. On that note I’ll sign off and post some pictures. Adios amigos!

www.flickr.com



Tags: , ,

-10 responses to “Workin’ Class Bangkokians”

  1. Happy Brithday JR. Thanks for the post card

  2. Jason Beshore says:

    Now there is going to be a great number of natives speaking in short, twitchy sentences. HA HA! I envy you two on what ya all are doing- keep letting us all know what is happening, there is a group here in Colorado that can’t wait to see you both when you get back. –Your cousin in Denver CO

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *