BootsnAll Travel Network



Kiwi Roadtrip: Week One

Nights slept in tent: 2
Amount of money spent repairing the ’91 Nissan: $25
Times we’ve accidentally driven on the wrong side of the road: twice
Number of near-fatal accidents we’ve witnessed: 1
Number of Canadians spotted wearing Canadian flags: 9
Skip-Bo Score: Brooke 6, JR 2

We were so proud of our intentions to camp that the first night of the trip we popped the $49.99 tent on a patch of burnt grass in a busy campground. The tent appeared to be assembled correctly, but we were left with a wad of ropes. We snuck a few glances at our neighbor’s tent, to check if they had used their wad of ropes, and they had. Shit. We would have asked, but they were blasting Pantera and discussing drag racing so we didn’t interrupt.

The second day we started our two-day trek of Abel Tasman National Park, along the coast of the northwest tip of the South Island. The scenery was stunning, and we were left with spectacular photos, huge appetites and blisters.

The rest of the week was spent meandering down the coast. We stopped for a few days in Punakaiki (or was it Punakaika?) where we had a huge house in the bush to ourselves. (Bush=forest ’round here) A short trail from our doorstep lead down to the beach. It was spectacular- and cheap. (USD 35/night)

While everyone was enjoying their turkey, eighteen hours ahead here in New Zealand we went hiking on the Franz Josef glacier. For eight hours a guide lead eleven of us up the glacier, carving steps with an ice axe and forcing us through tiny crevices. Crevices so narrow that my hips almost got stuck. It was intense, awesome, and definitely not safe. I was the only one in the group to fall (typical). My knees look like the swollen bruised peaches that no one will buy on sale at the supermarket.

Tomorrow we set out on the Kepler Track, one of New Zealand’s ‘Great Walks’. Four days and 60 kilometers (37mi), most of which will be uphill. Oh my God. Wish us luck.

Updated photos on Flickr!



Tags: ,

One response to “Kiwi Roadtrip: Week One”

  1. Kirby says:

    I can relate to bad tents, my father had a “Miner’s” tent without a floor, and once while asleep, I rolled out and down a 20 foot embankment, coming to rest against a tree in my sleeping bag, on the edge of the trout stream that we had hiked into somewhere in the middle of the UP. Of course no one missed me until morning, and I was still sleeping when my father found me with his camera the next day. The Kodachromes of this are hilarious I must admit. As an old fart camper from way back when, and after seeing the picture of JR in the tent, the mess of ropes are just tie downs that help keep the tent in place in high winds. See those little black “tags” on the fly or poles? You tie those ropes down and then stake them to provide rigidity in a wind. Totally unnecessary in calm weather, or when you are inside the tent — but if you are gone and a big wind comes up –whoosh! And off your tent goes down wind. the stakes in the four corners will be flung to the winds unless you tie the tent down. Thanks for the update, you made me jealous of my former life as an ice climber and mountaineer as you described your traverse of the glacier!! Travel safe, and see you in a month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *