BootsnAll Travel Network



To Whom it May Concern:

To whom it may concern:

Several weeks ago, I put a request in for an update on your “blog”. I was
assured that an update was pending and that everything would be “fine”.
Unfortunately, this was not the case, and you seem to be in limbo about the
entire update “system”.

I appreciate your timely response, and look forward to assuaging the
situation without resorting to other means.

Warm Regards,
Tommy

Dear Tommy,
Cool it. It’s not easy living with the pressure of constantly being responsible for whipping up some witty and entertaining “foreign” story. So I’ll try my best to satisfy your demands.

JR continues to play the role of the charming popular first grade teacher. I recently found a “Goofy” DVD in his bag, held it in the air like a dirty porn, and demanded to know what it was. The contraband was used to distract third graders from running around and reeking havoc during an afterschool program.

Meanwhile I’ve been leading the glitzy life of a magazine intern. My monthly salary is a glamorous $54, but the perks have been sweet. There have been a few 10-course meals, lunches and bar nights…all for free in the name of research. This food writing business has ultimately resulted into my return to the treadmill, and my number earning a spot on the speed dial list of a wild Indian chef with sights on a Michelin star.

In other news, monsoon season is upon us in Bangkok. Mother nature is a working mother in these parts, and maintains a pretty strict schedule–which comes in handy for the millions of people who will get soaked on a daily basis. Typically the sky opens up ever day between 5 and 6pm, give or take a few hours, and torrential rains flood the sidewalks and wash away the city grime. Everyday I wonder why I’m wearing leather flip flops, and scrunch up a dirty look at the back of my legs which get splatter painted with brown muck. I bought a huge hot pink floral umbrella (very Chinese Grandma) that could double as a weapon or dancing prop should the occasion arise.

Despite the daily downpours, life in Bangkok is good. Based on my experiment, it takes a job and 100 days to feel more like a resident than a tourist. Once you start running in to people you know- on the street, at the grocery store, restaurants, nightspots- it makes this Asian megopolis seem familiar and homey. (yo homey)

Our quality of life was recently skyrocketed with the purchase of an electric wok. After the purchase was made at Thailand’s version of Walmart, we rushed home and fired it up. The asphyxiating smoke from stir-frying birds eye chilies enveloped our studio apartment, but the satisfaction of cooking (and controlling the amount of oil used) brought joy to every cough. Any future neighborly complaints will be deflected by pointing out their horrible taste in music in addition to an apparent hearing problem.

After months of not picking up any Thai beyond the standard greeting, “stop” and “I don’t want that”, we’ve come to terms and sought help. Yesterday was our first private lesson with our Thai tutor, who claims that after just 30 hours of tutoring we’ll be talkin’ Thai.

So Tommy, look forward to high-pitched voicemails with us screeching “Sawatdii kha Khun Tommy! Wa la chan klap ban, ow [bologna sandwich] khap [six pack of double too-talls]kha”.

Cordially,
Brooke [& JR]

www.flickr.com

This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from PEARSB tagged with July. Make your own badge here.



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “To Whom it May Concern:”

  1. marm says:

    Hey, don’t take it out on Tommy. Personally, I am glad that he took the heat off me– as your mother, it seemed a bit weird to have to request a blog update–but hey, it has been SEVEN months since I have laid eyes on my daughter! Can we please get some new pictures? We want a picture of the Thai tutor and the floral umbrella! And, I want a picture of my daughter…how do I know that this blog is not being updated by an imposter, posing as you? MISS you MADLY! -Mom p.s. wreaked havoc …. the kim chi reeks….I know, I can’t help myself…there are no pictures to straighten! 🙂

  2. jill ferris says:

    Well your mom doesn’t want the heat but she is right. We demand blog updates and pictures. What do you think this is a vacation? Rules require at least a weekly phone call or blog to stay in touch with your near and dear who raised you and loved you so you could go halfway around the world, leaving your poor mother and aunt to worry and wonder. Emily just had her 13th birthday on the 20th. Love Aunt Jill

  3. José says:

    Hi Brooke and JR.
    Remenber me? José .
    We spoke to each other a while ago in the Irish Xchange.
    I’m from the Netherlands and my husband is working in Bangkok.
    I was that night on my own in the pub.

    Anyway you gave me that night your name card, but I left it somewhere and could not find it anymore.
    Last weekend I found it back.
    So I thought let me write you something.

    I read your blog,so you are really settled in in Bangkok.
    I am in the Netherlands at the moment but Friday I will be back in Bangkok for an other 3 months.
    I am looking forwards to that.
    I noticed that the Irish Xchange is closed at the moment and will ben open in September as “Molly Malone”.
    Well maybe I will see you guys there.

    regards José

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *