BootsnAll Travel Network



Indian Road Trip: Munnar & Fort Cochin

Roadtrip
We hitched a ride from Kodaikanal to Munnar with 3 other Indian couples. A bit of a tight squeeze, but a great chance for conversation. We of course had to lie and say that we’ve been married for 2 years. (JR prayed to Shiva for forgiveness, so I think we’re in the clear)

Munnar
Our time in Munnar was brief, but the scenery was beautiful. Tea plants blanketed the mountains. Ironically during our 12 hours there we didn’t have a single cup of tea. (this is an example of something I shouldn’t disclose)

After Munnar we had a few days in Fort Cochin, where we ended up spending a good deal of time with this character named Desi.
Desi
Desi is a 67 year old painter, lifetime resident of Fort Cochin, and former card-carrying communist. (I’m not pulling a McCarthy, Communism still has a place in the hearts of many Southern Indians and the red flag is waving all over the place) He was really fascinating, albeit eccentric with his conspiracy theories. At one point he tried to argue that the United States caused the tsunami.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *