BootsnAll Travel Network



Andaman Islands

Contrary to popular belief, we are still alive. I’m not sure if anyone actually reads this blog besides for our mothers and the occasional bored CH Robinson employee…but if there are avid readers out there I do apologize for recent black out. We spent 10 days on Havelock island in the Andamans, where the computer population is expected to reach 7 in 2009.

The Andaman Islands are a collection of 500-something islands in the Indian Ocean. They belong to India, but are geographically closer to Thailand.

The main tourist island is Havelock. There are about 10 bamboo-hut resorts, a few small villages, and about 20 miles of paved road snaking around connecting everything. (when I say “road” think “driveway”…the 10 ft wide blacktop accomodates rickshaws, a handful of trucks, jeeps, cows, goats, chickens, motorbikes & bicycles) I imagine Havelock island was what some Hawaiian islands looked like in about 1920. It was absolutely stunning. We stayed at the Emerald Gecko in a bamboo hut slightly larger than a double bed, with ocean view for about $7 a night. We had lots of late nights with owners Benny & Lynda, bartender Arun and a crew of other Brits, Germans, Indians & Canadians who all had a flair for the innapropriate. When we left I kind of felt like crying…it was like the end of summer camp when I was 12 and somehow become close with a bunch of strangers over a short period of time. (this is an example of something I’ll read later and cringe at…but right now sounds great) I’ll cut to the chase and dish the photos. Click below on “India 2” link.

www.flickr.com

This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called India 2. Make your own badge here.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Andaman Islands”

  1. marm says:

    Thank God! I was having daughter withdrawals…I seriously have been strolling through the house talking to your pictures!nrnrYour photos are a beautiful gift…thank you. nrnrNote to your Canadian friend that never came home…I hope you didn’t try talking my daughter into THAT!nrnrNote about the picture with the adorable bebe’…Wait….what was that loud noise…it’s a bird, it’s a plane…no it’s the Grandmother alarm….it just went off again! 🙂 nrnrMiss you madly but glad to hear your are enjoying every moment. Love you both ….Marm. nrnrPS the painting arrived and I have just made up my mind that it is a gift! It is beautiful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *