BootsnAll Travel Network



The Fall of Communism

Hello all,

We made our way to Bucharest today with a big group of backpackers. It was kind of funny though… we were going to catch the bus to the train station so we all went to the bus stop and the bus was there but I guess John didn’t hear me so as the big group of backpackers rushed towards this bus, John went to the store to buy soccer magazine….. so as I hopped on the bus (expecting to see John on the bus), I was surprised to see John…. running after the bus waving his soccer magazine in the air. I couldn’t help but to laugh…. a lot. Anyway, John ended up taking a taxi to the train station so no harm no foul.

We checked into a hotel this time around (all the hostels were booked up and the ones that weren’t were either far away or seemed really dodgy). The hotel is the cheapest in the city so it’s not like we are indulging. We didn’t do much other than check out the momument symbolizing the fall of communism(shown below), and a romanian art museum. Tomorrow we will go check out the big Palace here (second biggest building in the world).
FallCommunism.JPG
Things to mention:
1. I can’t remember if I mentioned this in the blog from Botiz so if I post this twice, it’s worth it. I remember in the first Botiz post, I mentioned that there must not have been an asian there in ages… well, I was wrong… We caught a taxi one night back to John’s grandparents and he asked me if my dad was in town last year. hahaha…. Apparently there was an asian man who worked in the town for a little bit last year. Just thought I’d post that ’cause I thought it was pretty funny.

2. Kent mentioned language barriers so I thought I’d throw this in: There wasn’t any language barriers between London and Munich really… many people are willing to help and John and I can get by with our French and English. Vienna wasn’t bad but we were only there for a short time. If I were in Romania/Hungary by myself, I’d be screwed but since John in fluent in Romanian, it hasn’t been that much of an issue.

3. Thanks for people posting their thoughts on this blog too… although I don’t always have time to respond or anything, it’s nice to hear from people and what they think too!

4. If you’re counting, we are about a month in now 🙂



Tags:

Leave a Reply