BootsnAll Travel Network



Sachsenhausen, Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial

Well, since I have a few moments before having to head to the train station (We’re taking the night train to Munich), I guess I’ll post what we did today.

We took an hour trip out to Sachsenhausen, which is a Concentration Camp built in 1936. More than 50,000 were killed there and ironically enough, after the new Communists occupied this concentration camp, they used it to detain the very people who previously ran the camp. It was quite sad and quite eerie touring the grounds where hundreds of thousands of people passed through or never made it through.
Sachenhauser.JPG
After we returned to Berlin, we went to see Brandenburg Gate and there happened to be a festival of some sort in the park behind it so we went there for dinner. While we were walking around the fair, we found the Holocaust Memorial, which is a large piece of land where there are many different sized cubes all lined up… it’s tough to explain but it was very neat.
Jewish Monument
And just down the block, we stopped at Hitler’s bunker and stood on the very spot that He and his wife Eva ended their lives. The bunker is all sealed off now but there is a sign showing what used to be there… it is a parking lot now and rightly so, no momunment has been placed in that spot.
HitlersGrave.JPG
Well, we are off to the station now. Thanks to those who have been posting comments or emails… it’s nice to get a taste of home while I still can. I’m guessing the posts will be few and far between once we get into Africa. Anyway, it’s off to Munich!!



Tags:

3 Responses to “Sachsenhausen, Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial”

  1. Ed Says:

    It’s snowing in calgary =( what the hell…

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Lizzie Says:

    Wow, I’m impressed. Sounds like you are having a busy time of it and yet you are so good with the postings! 🙂

  4. Posted from Canada Canada
  5. admin Says:

    Ed, suck it up, princess… just wait until Winter REALLY gets there. haha.

  6. EQ2 GOLD Says:

    VERY GOOD MEMORY.

  7. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply