BootsnAll Travel Network



On Safari Day 8

We actually got to sleep in a little today (finally!) so we were all ready for our first day of trekking. A vehicle took our big bags to the first stop so we only had to carry day packs for this hike. The Usumbara Mountains are lush, dense, beautiful mountains… it made for a pretty awesome scenery during the hike.

The trek was wicked… tromping through dense rainforest. It had rained recently so the path was pretty soggy and slippery but John and I seemed to manage pretty good. I can’t say the same for our American friends though… they were slipping and sliding everywhere! At the top of on of the ridges, we stopped for lunch. Our guide had actually packed up an amazing lunch: brown bread, fresh fruits of the area, herbed quark, cheese, veggies… it was super healthy and tasty. The rain kind of interrupted our lunch… so we ate really fast and got on our way.

We slipped and slided our way to our first stop which was actually a women’s convent tucked into the woods. It was a really nice convent; you could hear the choir practicing in the church. At dinner, they prepared a huge feast for us to enjoy… however, John wasn’t feeling well. He was pretty sick and didn’t eat too much for dinner. We think it was maybe from all the fruit at lunch (he ate a lot of plums). He was fine the next day but he was in pretty rough shape this evening.

Everyone was too tired to really do anything tonight so we all just went to bed after dinner to prepare for the next day of hiking.



Tags:

Leave a Reply