BootsnAll Travel Network



On Safari Day 10

Another day of trekking. We actually just did a big loop today and returned back to the same guesthouse. It was another day of children waving and yelling Mzungu through the mountains.

The first stop we made was at a Primary School tucked into the woods. It’s Christmas break so there was no class in session but many of the kids were there collecting sand to help build the latrines for the school. It’s nice to see people doing things without expecting a big pay cheque at the end. These kids and some adults were using their holiday time to help build latrines. What’s more amazing is that there were no latrines before… so 130 kids at school… no latrine nearby. Sigh, I’m so spoiled. John and I ended up donating the soccer ball that we’d been holding onto to this school… the teacher seemed very happy and the children that were there were happy.

We got back to the guesthouse early enough to go watch the sunset. The spot where we could watch the sunset was a small school and there were children playing there today… John and our guide joined some boys in a game of soccer (where the ball was made of plastic bags and rags)… the boys were reallly good at this. Me, the Americans, and the British women played with some of the younger children… taking pictures and then showing the picture to them on the screen of the camera. The kids LOVED this. We spent about an hour playing with the town children, watched the sunset, and then it was time for dinner. The food was actually reallllly good at the small restaurant we went to… god, I’m going to miss this.



Tags:

Leave a Reply