BootsnAll Travel Network



In Romania

Well, I guess I couldn’t get any time away from John since.. well, there isn’t really a lot to see or many places to stay here. Satu Mare is pretty much a working town where people work to live and live to work. Everyone we’ve visited were busy working on their farms with the exception of where we are now. We are in Negresti now, where it seems to be a little less farming and a little more development.

Romania in itself is quite nice… very nice country sides, very nice people (even though some of them kind of stare… I think I’m the first asian who has made her way here in a long time), and LOTS of food. The Romanians are not unlike the Italians where they MUST feed you when you go to their houses… and it’s kind of funny when John tells them that I don’t eat meat because their faces are all of shock. Either way, it’s been really nice here and very interesting to see the country for what it is (not just the touristy stuff).
BonicoJohn.JPGBonica.JPG
This is a picture of John picking grapes with his grandpa, and a picture of John`s grandma making buns from scratch.
Thoughts from John:
Romania is pretty nice, it’s pretty much exactly as I remember it from when we came 5 years ago. Not a whole lot has changed, all the relatives are still having the same problems as before. I wish I had a little more time with the family (seems like time is just flying by). It’s nice to see that the family is still growing with the new little baby girl Daniella (Romana’s daughter), not to mention Roxy has grown like crazy since the last time I was here. Mom, Dad everyone says hi and they are all wondering why you guys aren’t here and when you’re going to be moving back for good?

Side note for Kent:
Man, I think you would like it here in Negresti… they are in the process of building a ski hill nearby and the country side is kind of like…. it kind of reminds me of Kent (the place in BC). Everyone grows their own fruits here (lots of grapes and plums). The land is not that expensive and building a house is cheap (compared to Alberta)… that and you can take as long as you want to build the house so it’s not like you’d even have to build on the land right away.
Anyway, I don’t know if you’d ever be interested in seeing this side of the world but I thought of you when I saw this city and heard that they are building a ski hill.
Negresti.JPG
Miss y’all lots!



Tags:

2 Responses to “In Romania”

  1. Uncle George Says:

    Very interesting travelog, but some picture would be very nice. We wait here for you to come by in Hong Kong.

  2. Posted from Hong Kong Hong Kong
  3. Robyn Says:

    Hey Ev!!!!!
    🙂
    So glad to hear that you’re having a good time. Such interesting travels! It’s super interesting to read all your blogs. Some news from the “Storm” front if you’re interested…haha…we remain UNDEFEATED!! whoooo as we beat the “edmonton seahawks” 20-0.
    I hope that you keep having a good time and enjoy the rest of your trip!
    Talk later!
    Robyn

  4. Posted from Canada Canada
  5. barb Says:

    Ev,

    I’m so glad you’re really staying ontop of the posts – then again, this is you we’re talking about, I wouldn’t expect anything less.
    I feel like I have nothing to input, but a congrats and a hello. Your comments on feeling the effects of being a minority are really powerful, and something I’ve heard before from travellers in Europe. We can always joke about how white sherwood park is, but Euro is a bit different. Even on my very limited french experience I can assure you that you’re not out of your mind. I’ve had a similar experience in South Korea, when I was the person standing out. People stared. I mean really, they didn’t even try to hide it. It sucks, but I’m sure all of the other experiences of looking at their world through foreign judgemental eyes make up for it. We’re not all assimilated into one common understanding yet.

  6. Posted from Canada Canada

Leave a Reply