BootsnAll Travel Network



Mexico Part 1

I flew from Madrid to Cancun and crashed out for 2 days to adjust. Cancun was just a crazy place where everyone gets massivly inebriated at these huge clubs. The beaches, however, are worth it. I got out of there as quick as I could and headed for Isle Mujeres – a backpackers Cancun, according to the guidebook.

corona

This place was really really laid back. Cheap hostels and a calm beach with crystal clear teal waters and a nice little backpacker social that communed on the local beach bar every night. Chilled out here a few days enjoying a few Coronas and some good Mexican food. Hooked up with 2 crazy Ozzies who had just got down from California and were surfing around Cali and Baja California, as well as the Pacific side of the Mexican coast. I have a feeling that Australia is the place to be. They were also in a pretty sweet surf rock band called OneJonathan, and we got to jam out a bit. Basically they travel around play guitar, surf, drink heaps, and talk to alot of girls, and generally have a really good time. So needless to say, they have life figured out. We ate the scorpion out of the bottom of a bottle of Mezcal. These guys were halarious. To quote Rob (imagine this in an Australian accent) “I just woke up in the hammock and there was this Norwegian chick standing over me.. I was just like ahhhhhhhh………EPIC!”.

mezcal

I made a quick stop at Tulum to see some ruins on the beach. They used to sacrifice little girls there on the altar. The Mayans were exteremely off. But the site is georgous and the visit was well worth it.

Tulum

After that was Playa del Carmen for a few nights. Some of the best snorkling and diving around. I did alot of swimming and laying in the sun. It was good.

Then onto the ancient Mayan city of Palenque. To quote the lonely planet “superb jungle setting and exquisite architechture, and decoration, is one of the marvels of Mexico”. 500 buildings spread over 15km of jungle setting. I was almost the first one in the park at 8 am , so I got to wander the ruins by myself. That place is really trippy. Toucans and monkeys howling, jungle vines, abandoned temples. “Indiana? The dogs name is Indiana”.

Also did a side trip to this place called Misol-ha, where they filmed some scenes from Predator. Heres me near the waterfall.

Misol-ha

After Palenque I took an overnight bus to San Cristobal de Las Casas. “a cool highland town among misty region of deeply traditional indigenous villages”. Last night there was some music on in the square. 2 guys playing and singing Mexican guitar. I would recomend backpacking Mexico to everyone. Its really easy going, the people nice, and the food is awsome. After this is Puerto Escondido to hit the beach for a while and maybe catch some surf.

Adios!

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply