BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to India Part V: The Jones Experience

After another restless night spent on a sleeper train, I awake at dawn. Light is pouring onto my face from the windows freshly opened across the aisle. As my eyes slowly adjust to the drastic change in contrast, I begin to notice the incredible scenery passing outside. I leap up and run to the open door of the coach to stare at the impressive landscape of Tamil Nadu. Under a baby blue sky patched with soft-pink clouds lie plains of vibrant green rice paddies, sparse palm trees, cobalt lakes, wind-power generators and distant rock protrusions. Words cannot describe the richness of color extending in all directions. The spirit of life overwhelms me and I step out the open door. The great rush of wind tries to loosen my hands from their tight grip on the ladder outside the train. But I hang on, resolutely determined to enjoy this rush of adrenaline and refreshing wake up call.   

see all of my photos from the Train to Madurai

A few hours later I again step out of the coach, but this time onto motionless ground. Entering the city of Madurai I am blasted with a heat wave, but fortunately humidity is non-existent. The dry warmth brings me back to fond memories of Southern California summers. For the first time in many months, the climate suits me perfectly and I am empowered with a new reserve of energetic inspiration. This boost is well needed to wander the awe-inspiring Shree Meenakshi Temple complex that draws around ten-thousand pilgrims a day. I pass through one of the four Dravidian-style Gopurams, enter into photographer’s paradise and already know that I will spend most of the next two day here.

See all of my miscellaneous photos from Madurai

Leaving my shoes at the entrance I dive further into the Hindu world of Madurai, forging through the outlying courtyards and into the cavernous halls of meticulously carved rock pillars. Everywhere I look are statues of multi-limbed, half-animal and frequently nude deities. Occasionally I am lucky enough to escape the crowds of bare-chested pilgrims and bearded Holy-Men and find small sections of solitude.

Once isolated, my Indiana Jones fantasies come to life. Looking down a long corridor lined with rows of stone columns, I spot a few beams of light filtering in through cracks and skylights above to illuminate the path ahead. I cautiously step forward, nervously looking for a loose stone that will trigger poison darts or rolling boulders. Alas, no trap springs and I am brought back to reality; although it is an amazing experience to see the exotic architecture and cultural influences that gave birth to stories which have always intrigued. I’m pleased to have had my first Dr. Jones experience, but still am upset not to have encountered any chilled monkey brains yet.

See all of my photos from the Shree Meeknash Temple

Like the multi-headed gods worshipped here, I find that India too has many distinct faces; and more than its fair share of moustaches. One thing that I’m now confident to claim is that everything said about India is true. All of the good and bad experiences that people relate are existent in full force or even more exaggerated forms than the stories give credit.  

See all of my photos from the Shree Meeknash Art Gallery

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Welcome to India Part V: The Jones Experience”

  1. Amanda says:

    Dood. Awesome entry.

  2. Dave says:

    Fantastic photo up there Adam, of the crossed-legged chap in the beam of light.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *