BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to India Part IV: The Serene

Light jazz eases its way out of the speakers. Not that Kenny G smooth-jazz BS, but rather the sophisticated classic styles of Dave Brubek, Billie Holiday and Chet Baker. The large cruising boat, stylized like a traditional Kettuvallam rice barge on the outside and an elegant colonial resort on the interior, gently floats through the sublime backwaters. Other than the light purr of the motor lightly vibrating the vessel, the only sounds from the surroundings are the ripples of water in our wake and the intermittent relentless demand for “One Pen” by children we pass on the riverbanks. The soothing audio effectively compounds with the relaxed pace of Kerala to fulfill all of the grand predictions of the house-boat experience. This is the truly a perfect setting to lose troubles and thoughts of the outside world.   

During a four-hour canoe trip yesterday, I saw a glimpse of this tranquil, flooded terrain. The wide waterways, lined with palm trees, rice paddies and rustic dwellings, occasionally spill into lakes and narrow causeways. These are the roads, intersections and alleyways of the backwater population. Local villagers and fishermen are commonly seen rowing their canoes, bathing in the canals and leisurely strolling along the water. There is no rush, no frantic urgencies calling these people to the hectic pace of life common throughout the rest of India.

See all of my photos from the backwater canoe trip

Occasionally we are overcome by an overzealous boat loudly thundering past at full throttle. “They just don’t get it do they? Where are they off to in such a hurry?” There is no real destination, aside from the goal of a passive life on this floating paradise. Fortunately, our captain has obviously grasped this state of mind; letting the motor hover only slightly over idle, gracefully inching us along through serenity. The on-board chef consistently provides us with delicious food from tropical fruit, full blown Keralan meals and even coconuts punctured by a straw. This is a type of luxury and comfort I have never known, and while it is a splurge for sure it is worth every damn rupee!

A short buffer period in Alleppey arranging the trip didn’t even live up the predictions of hassle associated with it. We fortunately found a home stay with an extremely friendly ex-police officer. Along with providing many hours of cultural exchange and teaching us how to cook Chapatti he also went out of his way to make the backwater excursion arrangements and bargained them down to record low prices.

See all of my miscellaneous photos from Alleppey

In a mere two days of experiencing this friendly and stress-free state first hand, I have slipped into a vegetative peacefulness. Here is relaxation I desperately desired to ease away the tensions accumulating over many months of travel. While I previously expected to waste away on a beach somewhere, this place is far more tranquil than I could have imagined. The calming scenery is even more of a reassurance that here is true relaxation in paradise and a sampling of a relaxed pace of life that will eternally hold a place in my desires.

See all of my photos from the backwater houseboat trip

.



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Welcome to India Part IV: The Serene”

  1. rICK says:

    Hi there…. I think you need to chill a little.

    Do they have any isolation tanks in Kerala?

  2. Amanda says:

    The lighting on the sunset pictures of the Kerala Backwater Cruise is amazing. It almost looks like sepia. I also love all of the train shots (especially that blue carriage on the train to Kochi) and all of the shots of people. Also love the shots of walls and doors… all right all right, I guess I love them all! Nice work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *