BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to India: Part III: A different kind of good

On a lead for a well paying stock photo shoot, I quickly packed my bags and set off on a short trip south of Mumbai.  The Misson: a beach panorama for a 3m tall mural in a London children’s hospital.   While I was already supposed to be in Goa for the New Year’s celebrations, which would have made the assignment easier, I couldn’t refuse another invitation from Ratnadeep to ring in 2008 with all of my Mumbai friends.  So now I am set for a unique excursion to the beaches along the north Konkan Coast and waters rarely frequented by foreign tourists.   

At 6am I awoke from only a few hours of sleep, got into an auto-rickshaw, followed by a local train and finally a taxi before arriving at the Gateway to India, a massive colonial archway constructed at the edge of Mumbai Harbor.  I took advantage of the warm sunrise light to take a few photos before boarding the catamaran ferry a few minutes later.  Four methods of transportation and it’s still early morning!

See all of my photos from Mumbai to Alibaug

On the boat, I met a friendly European expat, who has been living here so long that he considers himself a full-fledged Indian.  Guido helped me with a few suggestions for ideal locations to shoot the panorama and then invited me to his workshop for coffee.  After a quick stop at his private beach, I made my way to his “office”: Chinkara Motors.

At this complex hidden in the palm trees and tropical wilderness, he and a team of local employees construct custom ATVs, Buggies, Roadsters, Sports Cars, Boats and other mechanical toys that men dream of owning.  Coffee turned into lunch and even more coffee as we discussed various aspects of the exciting life abroad and the enjoyable business he runs.  It was an education in unique customization and fiberglass fabrication techniques.

Amongst all of the instruction into the tangible aspects of these matters, I also gained some new insight into future possibilities for life as a nomad.  A whole new world of early retirement opened up to me when I realized that it is completely possible to achieve one of my long-running dreams of sailing the Caribbean and Mediterranean Seas.  For around hundred-thousand dollars you can buy a thirty-foot sailing catamaran; complete with two bedrooms and everything needed for a self-sustaining life upon the seas.  While this option is still a bit far away, the goal is obtainable and it is possible to live a dream life of sailing between islands and countries.

See all of my photos from Chinkara Motors

By mid-afternoon, it was time to get back to my mission.  The first stop was the major Indian tourist town of Alibaug and the popular beach at this section of the northern Konkan Coast.  Through sunset, I remained on the low-tide shore, nearly draining my batteries and filling my memories cards with images of beach-side cricket games, grounded fishing boats and horse drawn carriages riding through the orange hues of dusk.  What a magical day filled with education, revelation and surrealist imagery.

However, some of the biggest impressions were from a more genuine ‘India’ experience.  This coast is almost strictly reserved for Indian tourists, so it is devoid of the persistent touts and hustlers that would plague a place like Goa or the Taj Mahal.  It is also far enough from Mumbai to escape the pollution and overcrowding that is synonymous with major Indian cities.  In this place, traditional cultures are more obvious and the pace of life is more relaxed.  This is the third completely polar view of this country that I have witnessed in the last two weeks.  I can only imagine what other vast wonders await me as I traverse the country over the next couple months.

See all of my photos from Alibaug

.
 



Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Welcome to India: Part III: A different kind of good”

  1. Kailani says:

    Amazing pictures, as always! My parents’ dream was do purchase a sail boat and raise their children on it. Would’ve made for an amazing life. It’s nice to see your having a better time in India, I can’t wait to travel (therefore I’m taking a pre-trip during spring break, I think I may head into South America, I’d like to rough it, get some hiking in). Hope all is well!! I’m living precariously through your blog at the moment! Sending well wishes and safe travels your way,
    ~kailani

  2. Ryan says:

    Congrats on meeting some good friends and living with the locals for while. Thats always the best.

    I think you’ll be needin some crew if yar ta sail the seven seas…and I do have some sailing experience (and a guitar.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *