BootsnAll Travel Network



Further down the Konkan Coast

Day two of my excursion down the coast between Mumbai and Goa; this day I hired a motorcycle to speed up the journey in hopes of accomplishing my mission before the deadline.   

After speeding out of the town of Alibaug, I find myself fighting through the dangerously chaotic back-roads of India.   Over endless stretches of monsoon-spawned potholes, around meandering bovines and through the unpredictable currents of traffic, I venture deep into a dense palm forest.  Growing up in Los Angeles, palms are not an uncommon sight for me, but I have still never encountered this many of them so close together that the sky is eclipsed from vision.  Amongst the undergrowth are small villages of pastel houses and their owners living their simple lives; women carrying bundles on their head and old men gathering by the roadside all look like living National Geographic photos.  If it weren’t for the constant fight with the excessively cratered road the whole trip would be pure serenity!

Eventually the palm jungle disintegrates into the past and I stumble across the tranquil Kashid beach; a wide-open light-sand shore dotted with coconuts and the occasional Indian beachgoer.  In the pine woods bordering the coast, small thatched roof pavilions housing idle hammocks lay passively in the shade.  It seems the perfect spot to waste away days soaking up sun and relaxing waterside.  Alas, my mission only allows a short stop for the panoramic work and a few minutes to sip mango juice in peace.

See all of my photos from Alibaug to Murud

Back onto the motorcycle and through a series of exhilarating hill roads that wind their way to my next subject: Murud Beach.  This cliché collection of palm trees, beach huts and rustic looking sailboats is sparsely populated with a few lazy people and a horse carriage to cart them around.  I think I capture the panorama I’ve been hunting for and decide to take the rest of the afternoon off.

See all of my photos from Murud


.



Tags: , , , , , ,

3 responses to “Further down the Konkan Coast”

  1. Billy Baseball says:

    Hi Adam-

    Just popped in to see what’s going on in the outer world, according to Adam Shane. I am constantly amazed at the places you are going to and the people you are meeting. Holed up here in Southern California, I can’t imagine myself being inserted into these situations with no idea of the outcome. The world looks like a scary place, but you are breaking down the boundaries and flashing the words and pictures back to us middle-aged scardey-cats back home. Keep posting your adventures. We need to stay connected to the rest of the planet and you are our eyes and ears.

  2. rICK says:

    I went to the new Whole Foods store in Manhattan Beach.

  3. Amanda says:

    Adam!! I am LOVING your adventures in India! LOVING!!! Look up the Indian photographer, Raghubir Singh. He’s the first person to convince me that I must see India with my own eyes… and you are the second.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *