BootsnAll Travel Network



Things I will miss about Nepal

Nepal has come as an unexpected surprise.  I knew virtually nothing of this country, its people and culture.  I had no intention of staying very long, and was only using it as a stopover on the road to India.  This lack of knowledge and prior expectation set me up for a fresh perspective, unmarred by any previous prejudice.  What a remarkable experience it has been.   

The nickname of ‘Traveler’s Disneyland’ is extremely appropriate.  Tourism is the main industry here.  Every possible service has been conceived to fit every need, want or passing whim.  Commercialization runs rampant, but provides all of the comforts of home that you crave after emerging from the wilderness playgrounds.  While this tourist train runs deep, there is still so much charm and thrill in its presentation.  It is just as easy to get local Dahl Baht as it is to order familiar tastes from home… and it is all delicious!  The random variety of excess comfort and rustic conditions can be found everywhere and exist side by side without discrimination.  There is enough madness to balance all of the serenity.  

Now it has been over a month since I arrived here, yet I’m still trying to cope with the absence of China, Korea and Japan.  While each country has been so special, and manages to leave its own unique mark, Nepal has also managed to squeeze some more ink under my skin, adding to the growing tattoo on my left calf.

I’m truly going to miss this country; one that blessed me with many odd glimpses into local culture, remnants of historic civilization, some of the most amazing scenery in this world and enlightening insight into my own humanity.  I’ve ended up learning and experiencing so many things I never could have imagined.

Things I will miss about Nepal

·        Friendly smiles everywhere.
·        Interesting encounters with animals sharing the human infrastructure.
·        A quality private hotel room costing next to nothing.
·        Every evening from my room, hearing live Nepali folk music from the nearby restaurant.
·        Seeing the impressive Himalayas dominating the horizon every day.
·        Dahl Baht, Masala Tea and excellent cuisine from all over the world.
·        Ideal roads for exciting motorcycling.
·        Boundless adventure and excitement!

Things I won’t miss

·        The tourist trail and being viewed as a walking wallet.
·        Consistently having my food orders mixed up.
·        Every price being set to the tourist Euro value.
·        Three cases of stomach sickness in less than a month.
·        The sometimes scary packs of dogs that fight in the streets at night.
·        The hardships of trekking.

Now it is time to part ways again.  It is not easy moving on, but perhaps more difficult preparing for the culture shock that’s about to hit by transisting countries again.  My past experiences are helping me to deal with the simultaneous loss and wonder, but I still can’t help to feel the nostalgia and anticipation clashing.  Either way, I’m still moving onwards… to the great land of India!

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *