BootsnAll Travel Network



Suzhou Satisfaction

The longer I remain in this country, the more merit I find here. I partially attribute this to the slow acclimation and inevitable desensitizing to the oddities and initial culture shock. However, it seems that as I move onward through China, I am also ascending the ladder of quality in its cities and economic stability. Whilst I was first assaulted with poverty, dust, grime and pollution in the North, I am now surrounded by attractive avenues, fresh foliage and charming canals. The spitting and public defecation have all but faded and it appears the citizens here mostly enjoy a more civilized cosmopolitan demeanor. This is a pleasant change which is leaving me increasingly less anxious to leave China.  

So now I am settled in Suzhou, reputed my Messer Marco Polo as the Venice of the East. While it now yields more modern urban charm than historical setting, a few of the handsome canals still snake their way through and interject old world charisma into this already amiable city. My time here so far has been threatened with storm clouds lingering overhead, but I have still ventured out to see a couple of the UNESCO enlisted gardens.

It’s been a relaxing experience, and despite the lack of company at my absolutely unpopulated, but otherwise perfect hostel (Waterside House), I have decided to dig in and base myself from here for the next week before diving into the massive scale and madness of Shanghai during the National Holiday week. While some people exclusively crave non-stop hostel party action, I’m content lounging around in the scenic gardens that this city is famed for. My only cares are to take photos, read, relax and pose for an endless stream of requests for photos with giggling adolescent Chinese girls.

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

0 responses to “Suzhou Satisfaction”

  1. Greg says:

    Enjoy the holiday Adam…! Im going to be stuck in Beijing, but no worries, much better than Deng Feng, haha. 🙂

    – G

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *