BootsnAll Travel Network



Last Days in Tokyo

Tokyo is expensive.  I’ve been lucky enough to have friends offer places to sleep on quite a few occasions.  Other times I stayed in the cheapest accommodations available; internet cafes, hostels, and even bumming it on the metro.  I’ve managed to eat a few free meals, but usually have been dining at the most economic restaurants.  Most of the attractions visited were either free or fairly cheap.  Yet this city finds away to drain my wallet faster than I can feel comfortable with.  At least I’ve had a great time, stayed active and thoroughly entertained.

In part I blame the transportation system.  The Tokyo Subway and JR Lines are extremely efficient and by far the best way to get around town without a motorbike.   However, they are also fairly expensive.  Hopping from one side of the city to the other on a regular basis has ripped my budget apart.  I also blame the vending machines.  They are everywhere imaginable, offering a selection from ice cold electrolyte water to hot coffee in a can.  It is too easy to succumb to whim and drop a dollar here and there to satisfy instant cravings.  Yet, after all I still managed to stay longer than anticipated.   

On Monday, Mihye and I railed to Yokohama.  We spent a perfect evening leisurely exploring Rinkai Koen and the nearby Cosmo World amusement parkWe managed to finish some cheap wine fairly quick and definitely stood out as the only two obnoxiously drunk gaijin amongst high school sweethearts out on dates.  On the way back to the station we spotted an American-style diner.  Mihye told me she never really had American food, so I took the opportunity to repay her for introducing me to many delicious Korean dishes.

Tuesday, I met with Nabe at Yukotopia, a deadhead bar in north-east Tokyo.  The walls were covered in Jerry Garcia posters, and the owner himself did his best to resemble the late idol.  One night a month they host a jam night, and musicians gather from the area to play for an audience of their peers.  In the few hours spent there, I ended up on stage for a live karaoke version of The Rolling Stone’s Jumpin’ Jack Flash, two twenty-minute sets and a ten-minute drum solo.  By the end of the night I had met half of the audience and was asked to play in several projects.  I had to inform them of my impending departure, but was invited to play more music when I return to Tokyo.

On my final full day in the city, Mihye accompanied me to Koishikawa Korakuen again.  We had a picnic lunch and caught an amazing display of puppetry before she had to leave for work.  I remained to spend the remaining daylight hours relaxing by the lake and attempting to photograph the sheer beauty of this garden.

click here to see more photos of Koishikawa Korkuen

I met Mihye again after work for a final dinner at Niz.  I highly recommended this place in an earlier post, and will do so again.  The food is spectacular, the ambience ideal, and prices are low for Tokyo.  If you are here for a few days, do yourself a favor and stop in for dinner!

I’m going to miss this city.  At some times it reminded me of New York, and other times Philadelphia.  I had a constant impression of familiarity, but there is still a great mystique and undeniable energy that I have not found stateside.  I am looking forward to seeing the Kansai region of Japan, and eventually the rest of the world.  However, I know there will always be a special place in my heart for Tokyo and the people I’ve made here.

The friendships made here will definitely last a lifetime.  It has been difficult to say goodbye, but my time in Japan is running short and my wallet is anxious to experience more budget-friendly destinations.  I know I will return at some point… but for now the world calls, and I must answer!

click here to see my favorite photos from Tokyo
.


Tags: , , , , , ,

-43 responses to “Last Days in Tokyo”

  1. Michelle says:

    Good-bye, Adam and Good night and have a sound sleep for the rest of your journey to the world!

    I had a great fun with you and you will be part of my memory in Japan for life.

    Will cross my fingers for your work (the photos) and safe backpacking~

    Bye~

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *