BootsnAll Travel Network



Goodbye Tokyo, Hello Taiko!

Goodbye Tokyo!  The plan is to stop back at Mt. Fuji, and stay at the Solar Café for a few days before hitching down to Kansai region.  Mihye was going to come along for a short escape from the city, and to finally see this farm I’ve been talking about for the last couple months.   I packed my bag, mailed a few gifts home, and picked her up before boarding a bus back to Yamanashi.   

 

 

After arriving in Fujiyoshida city, Andy picked us up from the station.  He is an expat who has been living here for four years helping the community and running the English language newspaper.  Tonight he offered a unique experience to see, hear and play with the Fujiyoshida Taiko Band.  He brought us to the deserted auditorium of the community center where they practice.  Only half of the band was there, and they were mostly the younger generations who were still learning the songs.  They played a few songs for me to record while I snapped a few photos.

SpeakerListen to a song by the Fujiyoshida Taiko BandSpeaker

During a break, Andy told the instructor about my drumming ability, and I was invited to play along with them for the last few songs.  It wasn’t very difficult for me and brought me right back to my high school and college drum-line days.  After proving my proficiency I was offered a solo during the final song… which I completely butchered, oops!

SpeakerSee for yourself, I have an mp3 here.Speaker

See all of Miyhe and I’s photos from the Taiko practice

 

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “Goodbye Tokyo, Hello Taiko!”

  1. Sharon Shane says:

    Hi Adam,

    It was really great hearing you playing the drums long distance. I’m in Colorado and Anna and I listened through her computer just before they left for Europe.

    I had seen some amazing Taiko drummers somewhere…maybe UCLA…can’t remember when and where, but was very impressed.

    Glad you got to participate!
    Mom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *