BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 6: Annapurna Base Camp to Sinuwa

 

6:30am: I wake on the uncomfortable bench in the lodge’s common dining room.  My blankets have long since fallen to the floor and I lay there shivering and short of breath.  It is a difficult night with very little sleep, but the view of Macchapuchhre from the full wall windows every time I wake is a comforting reward.  As darkness fades, a glow behind the impressive mountain eventually gives birth to a pure sunrise, basking the Sanctuary in the morning’s light.  It took five days of the most rigorous trekking to see these wonders, but it is worth more than any struggle endured to get here.   

Today, we begin the two day power-hike back down the mountain to the comforts of Pokhara.  Downwards, over paths of jagged rock and slippery ice, blasted by frozen winds until the first rays of light warm the Upper Modi-Khola Valley.  Through patches of remnant frost still lingering in the bamboo and rainforests.  Downwards and out across thawing rivers and gushing waterfalls, full of new life from melting snow.  Mud and ice mix over all sized obstacles and conspire to make descent dangerous and difficult.  We still manage to cover a huge distance and are still on schedule to make Pokhara by this time tomorrow.

See all of my photos from Day 6

.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *