BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 1: Pokhara to Saruha

 Bullets Over Nepal –

7am:  Groggily wake up, slightly hung-over.  Check out of Hotel Grand Holiday and climb onto TATA Bullet, a customized and extremely stylized Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc motorcycle.  The bike is THE classic motorcycle, still being manufactured to their original WW2 military specs.  It is a large, solid bike that chugs along with a satisfying boom of power.    

This specific custom motorcycle was built to mimic the ubiquitous Indian TATA Big Rigs.  Like the namesake trucks, it is painted in a bold red and decorated with all sorts of hand painted sayings like ‘Horn Please’, ‘Wait for Signal’, ‘Slow Drive, Long Life’ and ‘See Ya’ Later!’  These trucks are typically huge, hog the road and fly down the highways much faster than the ‘Speed Limit 40km’ advertised across their front bumpers.

TATA Bullet wasn’t my first choice, but the beat-up old solid black bike was already claimed by Kiev, and Englishman who would be sharing the same road for the next few days.  After meeting him for breakfast, we roll out of Pokhara towards our first destination, the Royal Chitwan National Park.  Over the long day of riding we pass through the familiar curves of mountain roads into the Terai Plains.  The roads throw their usual share of subcontinent obstacles, but now the elephant is added to the roster of potential hazards.  Instead of seeing stately snow-capped peaks, there are massive fields of vibrant mustard-colored flowers that stretch off into the infinite horizon.  The whole feel of Nepal completely transforms itself and still manages to retain its extraordinary splendor.  

See all of my photos from the first day on TATA Bullet

We arrive before sunset and conclude the first day with a few beers by the riverbank in Saruha, watching the last moments of red day fading behind the jungle horizon.

See all of my photos from Saruha

.



Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *