BootsnAll Travel Network



Week 4: The USA

I can’t believe we have been on the road for four weeks.  I find myself trying to remember everything and then panicking when I think I have forgotten something.

Tatey got the chicken pox today.  But we’re not stressed.  All we have to do is keep him comfy and away from the other children for about five days and then we’re home and dry (as long as Torien doesn’t get it :-()  He is for the most part still incredibly cheerful, if a tad on the snotty side.

We are loving the RV – although the driving has been pretty hard on Torien.  We have travelled about 3000 miles so far and seen many, many places.

Last week we visited Graceland – this is without doubt one of the most memorable experiences of my life.  I felt a little foolish walking around with a tissue but I found the tour moving and so very, very enjoyable.  We stopped later that evening in Beale Street in downtown Memphis for a meal – it’s a really vibrant and amazing town.

After Memphis we drove a mammoth 1000+ miles over two days to get to Santa Fe in New Mexico.  Wow, this place is amazing and so different to the lush, humid south.  We’ll spend a few more days here and then head off to the Grand Canyon and then onto LA for a Disneyland and Theme Park extravaganza.

I won’t lie and say it hasn’t been stressful at times but I’d not change one single thing.  We are learning coping techniques for dealing with a stroppy five year old and have learned (very quickly) that the best time for travelling with little children is in the early hours of the morning when they are sleeping.

If you ever wondered what it would be like to do this, take a chance.  I promise you will not be disappointed.

I’ll be back after Disney.

Stella (aka dejags)

Tags: ,



One Response to “Week 4: The USA”

  1. LadyTophamHatt from Mumsnet Says:

    Hi dejags,

    Just wanted to say Hi and a great big WOW at your journey so far. I’ve been checking in every few days to see the next instalment…

    It sounds amazing and if I ever had the guts I’d love to do it…..with soon to be 4 kids in tow I think I’d need my head testing though!!!

    Hope the lastest round of chicken pox is over soon.

    Hope you don’t mind me grate crashing your holiday like this :o)

    See you on MN soon
    Best wishes for the rest of your trip
    Emma
    AKA LadyTophamHatt

  2. Linda McP Says:

    Hi Guys..

    Been checking every few days for an update. Glad to hear that you’re winning this chickenpox thing.
    Stell – I have tears just reading about the tissue. Very proud of you guys and the effort. Very jealous of the Disney thing u have to look forward to. Enjoy all the rides and do one for me.

    Good luck with the rest of the UK trip with the RV. I’m struggling enough with my corolla to get it into parking. Torien you have my utmost respect.

    Most NB – Have fun (but you don’t need reminding).

    Love, Hugs and Kisses
    Linda & Colin.

  3. Gingerbear Says:

    Hi dejags

    Can’t wait for the next installment. You need to find an internet cafe and a spare hour or two, huh?

    Enjoy!

    Debbie
    aka Ginge

Leave a Reply